QueryTracker Community
October 15, 2018, 09:58:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Post-NaNoWriMo Query Avalanche  (Read 1573 times)
rosedeguzman

« on: November 04, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »

Is it real?

Do you avoid sending new queries until January or February because of the people who send their Straight Outta Nano stuff to agents, cluttering up their slush pile? 

Or do you proceed as normal?
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 06:42:45 PM »

I take no account of seasons or what other people are doing. If I feel that my manuscript is ready, I send it.

As for the NaNOWriMo stuff -- never thought about this before, but. . .
if the first draft is really written during the 30 days of November, there are probably very few that are in shape to query immediately. The ones sent out so soon with little time for reflection, little time for adding depth and character complexity -- these are not likely to be the best that they could be.

While quickly queried NaNo's might add clutter to agent inboxes, they could also make manuscripts more thoughtfully revised and edited look all the better by comparison.
Hannah

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:03:20 PM »

I agree with Munley - send your manuscript when it's ready to go! I'm not sure if there really is an increase in queries immediately after NaNo, but even if there is, it's better to get your query in the queue anyway.
Curious Author

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:30:29 PM »

It is real, unfortunately. It's one of the reasons some agents close to queries at the end of November (or now, even). The other, of course, is that some close to queries around the holidays because they take time off or need to focus on their clients.

That said, if your manuscript happens to be 100% polished (been through multiple rounds of editing, beta readers, etc.) on December 1 and you want to send your queries out, go for it.
rosedeguzman

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:19:14 PM »

Thank you all!

I am currently sending queries in small batches, and I didn't know if I should stop when NaNoWriMo winds down...
mgmystery

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »

Honestly, there's always a number of reasons to slow this business down. You might have to wait longer to hear back this time of year, but if your ms is ready at least it will be waiting for them when they get to the slush.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »

Actually, plenty of agents say it's not as real as some make it out to seem. This probably has to do with what agents are repping, and what NaNoers are writing, but yeah, don't worry about it.

December can be a hard time to query, but that's because a lot of agents close to queries over the holidays.

But January is one of the better months, I think, to query. It's a new year, agents are feeling hopeful.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: