QueryTracker Community
October 17, 2018, 06:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you know?  (Read 3546 times)
atwhatcost

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 01:45:20 PM »

I'm a bit of an anomaly. I started learning how to write a query in September 2015. Wrote enough to finally have the first attempt go on a writer's site in November, and then all hell broke loose. Hubby had a massive heart attack. The kind that kept him in the ICU for 7 weeks, and took another 5.5 months before he came home. Even when he came home, he wasn't yet back to normal.

So, yes, I have been studying and writing queries for two years, but half-heartily until last summer. (Sometimes the query got me off other worries for a bit.)

Sent out my first batch of queries in October, but only landed one partial. Tweaked, got only one Full. Been working on a redo since.

I think I finally landed it, once I gave up on the circling of that site. So, now waiting until January to go forth and multiply (in requests for Fulls. lol)
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »

This is a fantastic question. Not that I have a fantastic answer, but the question itself is brilliant. If you don't mind, I may steal it, spend a few days working on it, and try to provide what, even then, will be an inadequate answer in a blog post. I've been neglecting the crap out of my blog for a long time.

But a gut response? I'd say follow this advice about crits generally:
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.”

You may have problems with your MS, not your query, and the query is a symptom. You may not be describing your MS well enough in your query. I think the best thing you can do right now is isolate the problem.

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
atwhatcost

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »

This is a fantastic question. Not that I have a fantastic answer, but the question itself is brilliant. If you don't mind, I may steal it, spend a few days working on it, and try to provide what, even then, will be an inadequate answer in a blog post. I've been neglecting the crap out of my blog for a long time.

But a gut response? I'd say follow this advice about crits generally:
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.”

You may have problems with your MS, not your query, and the query is a symptom. You may not be describing your MS well enough in your query. I think the best thing you can do right now is isolate the problem.

Brilliant! And jogged my memory. That's the same thing that worked with the writing site for the story itself.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: