QueryTracker Community
October 17, 2018, 04:13:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Issue with my second manuscript  (Read 2285 times)
Curious Author

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »

Is there another project you can start and/or pitch with her? I would try to get a sense of her feelings on other projects, too, before you break it off. It might also be worth sitting on her notes for a bit and coming back to it.

Sorry you're in this situation.
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »

It's a little weird to me that she doesn't like the MS that's on brand for you, because that was one of the reasons why my agent wanted to put the MG aside, because the YA was more on brand for me.

And I hear you about other alternatives. All my (unagented) friends are like "find a new agent" etc etc, but they really have no idea how publishing works and it's irritating to hear that all the time.

I don't think there is a solution, or at least not an easy one.

You're going to have to talk to your agent.

If, after that talk, she's still really pushing back on your book you'll need to make a decision.

Is your book worth more that your relationship with her? If yes, then you need a new agent.

If no, then you need to set that book aside, even if just temporarily, and work on something new.

Isn't it fun learning that being a published author sucks a lot of the time?

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
mgmystery

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »

I have no experience here, but I'm chiming in to agree that suggesting a co-agent within the agency might be your best option. Also Sarah's advice is great. A really hard decision, no doubt, but it's probably the only way to look at it.
gckatz

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 03:15:51 PM »

Isn't it fun learning that being a published author sucks a lot of the time?

Heh. Truth.

skribbler

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 05:33:32 PM »

After my first agent and I split up, she put me in touch with someone in the same building (but at a different agency) who she thought might be more open to the kind of thing I was doing. And he almost was. I eventually got someone who's very clicked in, and am really glad I found the right person.

Although it would be ideal if you could find someone in the same agency, I've seen enough published authors who've fairly easily moved on to new agents when their current one didn't have a vision for their new project, that I think maybe you shouldn't assume it's going to be a big slog. You've got a book under your belt, i.e., name recognition, which means half a new person's work is going to be done for them.

I'll tell you one thing, trust your gut about whether you can twist your book to fit any agent's contradictory idea of it. I wasted a year trying to do that.
atwhatcost

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »

I really can't help you with your problem. No experience at all that far down the road.

But you helped me. My first is stand-alone, but it's also the first in a heptalogy. And, I know it doesn't go where anyone would think it would go in Book Two, so now I can see an agent getting antsy after Book Two, or at the end of Book Two.

I have a synopsis for the first book, but I also have a synopsis for the hepta. I'm not signing on the dotted line until I find an agent that likes the premise for the whole series.

So, really sorry you're going through this, but at least you helped one other person from stepping into the same problem blindly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: