QueryTracker Community
July 20, 2018, 02:50:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nudge an Agent  (Read 1149 times)
Curious Author

« on: November 26, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »

Hello all! I'm back in the querying trenches after my agent left the business with a new manuscript. I've been querying for about two and a half months. My request rate so far is 12 fulls and 2 partials out of 45 queries. 18 queries are still out. One of those queries that is still out is an agent who had requested the full of my last manuscript and said she would have requested an R&R if I didn't have an offer on the table.

Now, I usually never nudge on queries, but she's one that tends to respond to most queries and it's been 72 days. I'd like to nudge her, but how should I? Resend the query and explain why I'm resending? I'm also wondering if I didn't format correctly. She requires a "one paragraph synopsis and one paragraph biography," and I just included those within the body of my query. It's what I did last time, but last time, she did ask for them separately when I requested the full. So, should I resend with them separated out? Overthinking this, I know, but it seems odd for her to say nothing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:08:23 AM by Curious Author » Logged
koji

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:51:11 AM »

I would re-send with a note that you just wanted to make sure that your query had gotten through to her.
mgmystery

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:19:44 AM »

If she responds in order, she might not have even read your query yet. Have you checked the comments on the regular QT site to see if she's responded to others around when you sent yours?
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:55:34 AM »

You're overthinking.

I would wait until after the holidays, though, and then nudge.

Just send her an email stating that she read a previous manuscript of yours and you sent her a query for your new ms that you think she might be interested in, but you're worried it got lost in cyberspace and just in case that happened you're resending the query again.

And then paste it below.

And then that's it!

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Curious Author

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »

Thanks for the answers so far everyone! I'm glad you all seem to think that resending with a note is fine. Validation is always helpful.

I have checked her timeline and all around me are answered. She has one request for a full that took 45 days, but that's the closest to mine.

And Sarah, thank you for confirming that I'm overthinking. This whole querying business is already doing a number on my anxiety, so it's extremely helpful to have you guys here to bounce ideas off of.
Curious Author

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »

Follow up question... I received some feedback on my query and first ten pages since I last queried her (from #PubforPR) and have updated them with new queries. Do I send the updated query or the old one? Both the old and new have gotten requests.
mgmystery

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:25:52 AM »

I'd send the old one just in case she did receive it. That way there will be no confusion.
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47:18 AM »

I'd send the new one on the grounds that she probably didn't see the first.

Come visit my weblog!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »

Send whichever one you feel is the strongest.

And yeah, just a warning that if you have anxiety, expect being a published author to ramp that up through the roof.  Thumbs Up

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Curious Author

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »

Thanks, Sarah!

Yeah, I've got two books published with a small press, and I only expect it to get more complicated if I get published later with a bigger house. Worth the struggle, though!
kwill79

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »

I was just wondering about this topic since I have one agent I feel should have responded by now.  I think the advice to wait until after the holidays is great advice, so that's what I'm going to.  Tough question about which query to send now, but I agree with Sarah Ahiers and think you should send whichever you feel is strongest.  I'm sure agents are good at keeping them all straight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: