QueryTracker Community
December 18, 2017, 02:38:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genre Question  (Read 290 times)
JustinB

« on: November 27, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »

I don’t know if this is the right section to post my question in but I have a genre question. I’m writing what seemed to be a science fiction novel but the sci-fi aspect doesn’t come into play until the last fourth of the novel (80,000 word novel). The rest of the book (the first 3/4) is more of a psychological thriller because the main character has psychological issues that her and her family have to deal with. So I guess my question is do I consider it science fiction because that’s the main twist in the book or do I consider it a psychological thriller or do I consider it a science fiction thriller? Thank you for any help!
gckatz

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »

While stacking too many genres is a bad idea, I think "sci-fi thriller" is fine. I'd definitely include the sci-fi descriptor somewhere--it can feel like cheating to spring speculative elements on a reader if they weren't aware that option was on the table.

JustinB

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:38:35 PM »

Yeah I was thinking sci-fi thriller but didn’t know if that was appropriate. Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: