QueryTracker Community
January 17, 2018, 07:04:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WWYD- Agent liked MS but "hit too close to home"  (Read 313 times)
koji

« on: November 30, 2017, 05:14:00 AM »

I am in a position where I am starting to query two MS. (One I'm finishing up querying and probably going to trunk soon, and the other one is just dipping its toes into the query pool).

I've sent out two queries on the second MS. It is a super dark YA with themes of teen suicide and cyber crime. I realize this won't be for a lot of agents. One agent requested a partial but then rejected because the story, "hit too close to home." But she said the writing was good and encouraged me to sub it to another agent at their agency if I felt like I would be interested in working with them. (Not a specific agent, just in general).

In full disclosure- the one agent who has my full on my first MS right now would definitely not like my second. It is on her "do not want" list, and I hadn't thought of that when subbing to her because my first MS fit her MSWL quite well.

Would you send in the other MS and see if it is more up her alley, or would you assume that you're just not a good match because she's never going to want that second MS and move on?

I'm thinking it depends on what I plan to write in the future. In general I'm a dark writer and, in general, she likes to rep dark projects, but apparently the grief in this one was too heavy.
Falthor

Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »

I'd wait to query the second if you can.

If not, maybe drop her a line and say "I know you don't want XYZ and my next book to a query is from that pool, do you want to take a look at it?"

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Curious Author

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »

If something is on an agent's "do not want" (especially if there is suicide or something that they've identified as a trigger), then I would not send it to them.

There are lots of agents that want dark books, so I would not worry about finding a home for it. I would also take that agent up on the offer to submit to another agent at the agency if you find one that seems like a good fit.

Though, I would say that I strongly encourage you to wrap up querying that first book before moving on to querying a new project.
atwhatcost

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:29:20 AM »

Koji, see if this helps any.

I like YA and I like dark. Teen suicides would be right up my alley for both. Cyber crime would be interesting.

BUT, I was raped when I was young, so I cannot/will not read anything with rape in it. "It hits too close to home" no matter how it is done.

Everyone has their own triggers. It doesn't mean everything is the trigger. Assume if she said that hit too close to home, but she liked it enough to tell you to send it to other agents in her own agency, it's good. So, in the future you know she's up for anything but either suicides or cyber crimes.
koji

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 07:36:15 AM »

That makes sense, thanks for that perspective. I guess my question (that I need to ask myself) is whether I'm interested in pursuing an agent that has already rejected a MS that I'm nowhere near ready to trunk.

It makes me think it is really time to end my MG journey for now and pursue my YA MS more aggressively. Because the MG manuscript could be more acceptable once already in a relationship with an agent, but the YA is filled with a lot more controversy and tough topics.
gckatz

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »

If you have ANY reason to suspect that an agent won't like something else you wrote, I would drop them like they're hot. That's just setting yourself up for trouble in the future.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: