QueryTracker Community
October 23, 2018, 12:03:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Live With Honor - memoir  (Read 540 times)
TimandHonor

Warrior. Writer. Dragon tamer.

« on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:14 AM »

TO LIVE WITH HONOR is a 94,000-word literary memoir that will appeal to a generation of transitional military veterans, horse and animal lovers, and anyone enjoying inspirational true stories.

Through scars and folded stars, a haunted warrior and his crippled horse risk life and love to reforge the one word that binds them: Honor.

Honor. I swore I’d fight for it, swore I’d die for it. But I didn’t. My men charged into shadowed valleys like "The Sunni Triangle," the Korangal Valley, and Takur Ghar. All three hundred, eighty-seven of my men returned dead. I was an Honor Guard—a folder of flags. My men always came back dead. Yet, I lived. After the broken promises, after the betrayal of the word I was sworn to, I lived. When one carries the weight of the dead, it requires the strength of a horse to carry him.

Years later, fate dragged an unwilling man to a wretched livestock auction on the frayed edge of Oklahoma City. I brought pain to the auction, but left with something else. The filthy Thoroughbred colt, abandoned and left for slaughter, came with only one thing: a name, printed on wrinkled paper— “Honor.”

After a gruesome injury, the doctors said he would die. When he didn't, they warned that running would kill him. But a horse runs, regardless of scars, because he can. As every Guardsman knows, honor comes with death… but could Honor outrun the pale horse?

***bio excluded***
mgmystery

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:00:28 AM »

I really know nothing AT ALL about memoirs, but I'm going to offer a few comments. If they're totally useless, just ignore them  Smiley

Your first line wold be considered a logline. Some people warn against them, but I really like yours. Using first person for a general query is a definite no-no, but I don't know if it's different for memoir. In the third paragraph, is "an unwilling man" the same character? I definitely think you shouldn't change the POV here. Maybe it would work to say "fate dragged this unwilling man..."

Sorry I don't have more to offer. I really have no experience here. confused
TimandHonor

Warrior. Writer. Dragon tamer.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »

Memoir queries as a rule of thumb are first person. You’re spot on with the person change. It reads more in line with what I want to say the way you mentioned, without altering person. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: