QueryTracker Community
December 17, 2018, 10:25:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHASING RAINBOWS  (Read 2119 times)
raballard

ever feel like you are chasing the roadrunner?

« on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »

I realize the first pages might look like a prologue, but they are not. I remember a little ditty novel about a whale that started with an introduction from a shipmate.

CHAPTER ONE
A LESSON IN NARRATORS

Allow me to introduce myself. The name is Garn. No last name, just Garn and I am a professional story narrator. Modesty prevents me from saying which works I have narrated. However, I can promise you have heard them before. I live by one simple creed and one miniscule rule. My creed is honesty at all times. Thus if I say it happened, it happened. My eensy-weensy rule should be easy to follow. When I am narrating, it is your duty as the reader to pay attention to whatever I have to say. Shall we begin?
    I almost forgot something of the utmost importance. Read this book at your peril. There is trouble afoot, and you might be better served to read books about frogs that turn into princes. What troubles, you ask? My first question is why are you still reading? Didn’t I just say read this book at your own peril? Very well, if you insist, I have it on good authority that the villain through science or magic or through some sort of mumbo-jumbo has devised a way to reach out of this book and grab your soul or freeze your young developing brain cells. Are you sure, you want to continue? This might be your last chance.
    Very well, sit down and listen.
    Remember, I warned you.
    It is enough to say the story begins in a kingdom, long forgotten by time.
    Axual Sighs had the unfortunate misfortune of being born smack dab in the middle of his two older brothers and two younger sisters. I'm not saying being the middle child is a curse. Oh, no, had he been born into any other family there would be a seventy-five percent chance that Ax might have a somewhat successful childhood. However, poor Axual was not born into another circumstance. He was born the middle child in a family where middle children are forgotten and ignored. He couldn't blame his parents. They loved him. At least he thought they might.
    Mother had her hands full, primping and spoiling his younger sister. He could appreciate that the time and effort his mother spent with his sisters left very little quality time to spend with him. After all, mom spent what little time left in her day on whatever household chores needed to be completed.
    His father spent his time tutoring his brother in the fine art of junior sports. Be it little league jousting, wrestling, or swordplay, his brother excelled in everything. His father's job as night-shift janitor at the local stable left no time for Ax. He accepted his fate with reserved dignity, well, as dignified as a young lad of ten could muster.
    Ax lived in Kamas, a small kingdom nestled in a valley between two mighty mountains. Snakes, ghosts, and Unspeakable Creatures inhabited the Oak Mountains to the west of Kamas. The dreaded Copper Mines of Toolareia occupied the Northern reaches of the mountain range, and the southernmost edges of the Great Sand Lake.  No one in their right mind would ever venture into the Oak Mountains. The mountains to the east are of no importance this early in our tale.
    It is not too late to find a more suitable book for your young developing mind to read. No? Don’t tell me that I didn’t warn you. I can’t help you if you refuse to listen to my advice. If you end up sleeping under your bed or in a closet tonight, so be it. Shall I continue?
Indulge me one last time, I promise to get to the gore of little league sword fighting or beauty pageantry right after this simple explanation. I would skip it all together if it weren’t important.
    The King lived in the Castle of Mirth. The castle sits in the center of town. The founding fathers named all streets in their relationship to the castle. The finer taverns were the ones closest to the castle. The better stores were those closest to the castle. You get the picture. Nearer the castle - good, farther away from the castle - not so good. The Sighs live in the last house on the last street east of the castle. It was not possible to be any farther from the castle and still live in the valley. Of course, the stable where Axual’s father worked was the farthest from the castle, so it was the worst stable in the entire valley.
    In the beginning, the Kings truly loved the people in the valley and had their spiritual well-being at heart. However, not even the eldest of the eldest can remember that long ago. Any historical data showing any thought about the well-being of Kamasians were stricken from the records.
    The current king, Smithfield Bottomhugger, is by far the meanest leader in the long history of cruel leaders. He has three advisors whose main duties are to grovel at his feet and fourteen semi-advisors whose main purpose in life is to grovel at the advisor’s feet and make life miserable for the remaining people in the town not lucky enough to be counted as an advisor or semi-advisor. Of course, the degree of which your life became miserable was dependent on how far you lived from the castle. You might have guessed that Axual's family's life would be among the most miserable. However, Ax's brother was far too busy excelling in sports to notice how miserable his live was. His sister was far too busy primping for non-existent pageants and pageantry to see how miserable her live had actually become. His mother and father were far too busy ignoring him and spoiling their other children to see how miserable they were. The Sighs were one big, miserable family; they just didn't know it. Have you noticed I have not given the age or names of his brother and sister?  The names are not important. Oh, maybe someday they will be named, but not today. This is not their story. This is the story about Axual Sighs, the misfortunate middle son of the stable janitor and his wife, who live in a valley too far away from the center of town to be noticed by a tyrannical King and his quorum of minions.
    All of that is about to change.
    I think you are now ready for the story. If you insist on staying until the end, I’m a little frightened myself with all this talk about copper mines, dangerous seas, and unknown creatures. However, if you’re brave enough to continue further, then I can muster enough courage to keep you company.  I neglected to tell you, Axual is far too busy with his magical imagination to be miserable or care that his parents ignore him. After all, he is a middle child, and middle children are to be ignored. Or are they?

www.raballard-mymind.blogspot.com/
May your life be full of sunshine, even when your skies are gray.
May you find the strength to go on when you think you lost your way
oldbag

Which button do I push to take the damn picture?

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »

Hi Raballard,

I loved reading this. Terrific voice, and what a great way to get kids to read -- tell them to do so at their peril.

Lots of fun... only... IMHO the title doesn't do it justice.

Good luck with this!

Regards,
-oldbag

1 Malooga, 4 Loogas
www.getahubby.com (an advice column)
Pachi

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »

This was fun to read. My only problem was that sometimes it seems like Axual has 2 sisters and 2 brothers while other times only one of each. You might want to fix that, or at least say the narrator is referring to one of the brothers/sisters. I love the world-building and the teasing the narrator does. Great voice. Very enticing.

Good luck!
raballard

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »

Thank you Pachi, I have revised the chapter to clarify he has one brother and one sister. When I first wrote it he had two brothers and two sisters.

raballard

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »

this whole feed is now void.

new query and new beginning'

thanks, for playing. Johnny, tell them what they've won.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: