QueryTracker Community
January 20, 2018, 09:19:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Manuscripts Ready to Go?  (Read 240 times)
Jackskellington

« on: December 22, 2017, 06:49:04 AM »

When querying an agent (as a pb writer), approximately how many pb prepared manuscripts are expected of me by the agent? Or how many would it be best, realistically, to have ready to present if an agent inquires following my query.

Thanks in advance.
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:01:15 AM »

Ideally they want you to query one at a time. In the real world, with agents taking six months to review fulls, you may have more than that.

While querying I had two ready to go at the same time and one I was working on (because of the six month thing, plus an R&R). When I got on the phone with agents, I'd mention the second one that was ready and say I was currently writing another.

Come visit my weblog!
Jackskellington

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »

Thank you for the response. I was planning to only query one manuscript at a time. Regarding the additional manuscripts to have in case, would it be frowned upon (in your opinion) if one of them were the sequel to the manuscript I am querying (rather than it being another original manuscript)?
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 07:41:50 AM »

the only caution against it is that sometimes an agent will feel like you shouldn't "waste your time" writing a sequel if the first isn't under contract. But since you could in theory self-publish both with a rapid release strategy if you didn't end up going traditional, I wouldn't worry about it.

Come visit my weblog!
Jackskellington

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 11:28:29 AM »

Thanks again for your help!
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:54:32 AM »

So for PBs they do expect you to have a portfolio of PBs ready to go (though yes, you would only query one) so if they're interested in the one, when they call you up and ask you about your other PBs, you're ready with other ones that are good to go, too.

At my MFA, at least one PB agent said she expected around 10 PBs for any author that she signed. If it were me, I'd have at least 5 in my portfolio to talk to any agent about if they were to call.

If your PB "sequel" is more like part of a series (say, SKIPPY JONES, etc) then I think that's probably okay to have one or two of those in your PB portfolio as long as you have a nice selection of other PBs that are not related to the series.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »

What is a PB?
Jackskellington

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »

Thank you for the insight; that is really helpful.
007 fan

Eye right store ease.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »

What is a PB?

Picture book.

writer                                                                          Computer Basher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: