QueryTracker Community
January 20, 2018, 04:44:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bio - Shared Background with Agent?  (Read 825 times)
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »

Since we all probably agree this stuff belongs at the end of the query if it's going to be in there at all, the question can be looked at more easily as: Would an agent who otherwise liked the premise, voice, and story described in the meat of your query change her mind about reading your attached pages because you said you belonged to a group.

If I were an agent and that group were the KKK, the answer might well be yes. But a writing group? I seriously doubt there is a single agent on the planet who would decide not to read pages she otherwise found intriguing because someone belongs to a writing group. And once she's reading those pages, what happens next is up to them.

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 03:45:16 PM »

Very nice way of breaking it down, Mooky!

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Curious Author

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »

So, "respect" is only given to someone if they are published and proven members? Really?

Bizarre, since this was about someone who was NOT published. Really bizarre since that was the topic in the first place -- what to include if you are NOT published. Unpublished should have no voice, because there is no respect? And respect is earned by proof? No one gave proof!

I said that Sarah and gwenckatz both regularly give their time and energy to posts on this site. That has earned my respect. The fact that they are recently published YA authors (something noted in both of their signatures) makes them credible sources.

Nowhere did I say that respect is limited to unpublished writers. I also pointed to my very recent querying experience as a proof of what I was saying.

Anyway, Sarah gave an excellent breakdown of the rest of your points and Mooky said it succinctly. I encourage you to learn what you can from these boards from both the published writers and those still in the writing/querying/submission trenches.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: