Author Topic: 10 minutes with an expert?  (Read 4760 times)

Offline alislove

10 minutes with an expert?
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »
Has anybody done this? 10-15 minute phone/skype with an agent to discuss query or first ten pages ($49-$99). Some good agents from Writer's House, Harvey Klinger etc.

Seems like one could use it as a paid pitch where an agent is required to give feedback.  Not a bad gig I suppose (for them and us!)

https://manuscriptacademy.com/10-minutes-with-an-expert/

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:20:43 AM by alislove »

Offline Curious Author

Re: 10 minutes with an expert?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:45 AM »
I haven't done this, but I'm all for any reasonably priced critiques. $50 seems reasonable to me and Manuscript Academy gets good people. At the very least, it can be helpful to get feedback and a closer look.

Offline alislove

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »
Agreed.  Like your pooch (assuming that's your pooch in your picture!)  :yes:

Offline Curious Author

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
Sure is! That's Auggie. :)

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
Not this specific one, but I did do a 5 page crit at a conference with an editor or agent (I got the editor) and that went super, super well for me.

All that said, you certainly don't have to. It's not cheap and querying is free.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline alislove

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »
Curious Author,

I have an Auggie (feline though) too!  :)

Sarah,

Yes, so true, it is free. I'm just hungering for quick feedback and thought this may be a good way to get it. One of my most desired agents is doing this so I may give it a try. There is something to be said for an audience held accountable. I have a full out now (5 weeks) and am fading with each week. Thanks for the input!  :)

Offline mariseli

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »
Not sure if you tried it or not but I've done this twice, and one of the agents even sent me notes on my query before the call and it was really helpful, and also nice to get reassurance that I was on the right track toward an effective query

Offline JBeachum

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
I paid $29 per pitch to pitch two agents at a conference. The feedback was invaluable. Best part, I got full requests from each of them, which meant I got to send them my full without having to send a query. I only wound up sending it to one because the other, Eric Smith, had a baby by the time I was done writing the book, but the other person I pitched wound up being my agent.

If you can pitch an agent directly, and can afford to pay for it, do it. I've never heard anyone say that they regretted doing it. And sometimes you can bypass the querying process altogether, which is a godsend.
Repped by Marisa Corvisiero of the Corvisiero Literary Agency

Offline Sprinkledcone

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »
I have to agree-- this is so worth it.

I did this twice with my current book I'm pitching. One said definitely query me, the other isn't open to anything but said I could query a coworker using his name. Both gave tips on query and ten pages that made it better. Of course, I think it made me go into my search with high hopes...which are quickly being dashed with no responses.

So...if someone has the $ to do it, I say do.