Author Topic: Short Story Critiques?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
Short Story Critiques?
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:19:25 PM »
I've decided to dedicate part of my 2018 writing time to short stories and start the totally fun/definitely more easy than querying *cough* process of actually getting paid to write. (Like, if I make $5 this year from writing, I'll be happy. but I digress.)

Anyway, I've been off to a good start. I have one complete, once-revised draft and two more that are written but I need to polish before I let eyes get on them. I've kinda-sorta decided to start working on linked short stories that sorta-kinda tell one bigger story, and the two new ones are part of that.

Anyone write shorts who would be willing to swap with me? (My CP credentials: I edit for a living, with a preference of sweating small stuff like cadence, spelling, grammar, and clarity. I've done plenty of developmental work for novels, but that's where I'm afraid I'm missing the mark in short stories, so I won't claim I'll be any good at that.)

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Re: Short Story Critiques?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
I just emailed you and am only posting here to vouch for your CP skillz.

To the rest of QT: I've had some amazing CPs, but nobody else lets me relax with the certainty there are no little errors in a piece of work like Rochelle. It's not just the line-edit stuff, she's given me some really good big-picture feedback as well, but holy cow is she a machine on usage, grammar, punctuation, etc. If you're doing short stories, it would be foolish to pass this offer up.
I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

Offline GVonCarstein

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
I'm going to PM with some details, but I thought I'd ask here for others who might be interested.

What Genre/Age range are you writing the short stories for?
Are there genres/ranges/topics you wouldn't to swap with?

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »
Turns out, Twitter isn't entirely shouting into a void. I ended up getting a few responses on there, more than enough for this project at least.