QueryTracker Community
December 12, 2018, 11:51:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good sign?  (Read 671 times)
MD10909

« on: May 31, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »

I started to query agents a week ago. In the first few days, three of the nine agents I queried requested the full manuscript. One of those three asked me to let her know before I sign with someone else. I have queried 12 agents in total and received one rejection. Is this normal? Should I continue to query agents? How long before I hear back from those agents who asked for my full manuscript? I appreciate any insights. I feel like I'm stabbing into the dark.
koji

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »

That's a very good request rate, especially with such fast requests. I'd go ahead and send out queries to anyone you might want as an agent, since it isn't considered good form to continue querying after you have an offer.
jcwrites

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »

This is a super-good response. By way of caution, how are you choosing your agents?
Tabris

I rock!

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »

Given those stats, if you have any "dream agents," query them right now.

Come visit my weblog!
Hannah

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »

Yes, a very good sign - as others have said, those are great stats! You know from this that your query and first pages (assuming they were included) are working. You can either go ahead and continue querying or wait and see what feedback you get on the full manuscript before sending any more queries - it's up to you! As for how long you can expect to wait for responses, response times vary greatly but usually a wait time of about 3 months is pretty normal. You can check the submission response time reports on QT for the specific agents you've submitted to.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:27:19 PM by Hannah » Logged
JBeachum

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »

I'm going to be counter-intuitive here and say that given such a high request rate, you may want to slow down and either wait for responses or be very selective with who you choose. As Tabris said, go after the agents toward the top of your list. Be selective if you query from here on. Let the ones you have sent and the ones you are going to send percolate for a while before starting a whole new round. What you're waiting on is feedback from the fulls, because all you've proven so far is that your query and sample pages are strong. As I found when I was querying, there's a big gap between "You have a good query and good first few pages" to "You have a good manuscript, let's talk on the phone." Extra feedback could be invaluable at this point.

One mistake I think people make during the querying process, no matter how successful it's going, is to stop letting people read it and give you guidance. Too much guidance is bad, but you can still get people to provide meaningful input that will make your full requests more productive.

Although, at the end of the day, it only takes one and it looks like you're quickly approaching that, so good job!

Repped by Marisa Corvisiero of the Corvisiero Literary Agency
MD10909

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 10:34:40 AM »

This is all so helpful. Thank you. My novel is a work of contemporary women's fiction. If anyone can recommend an agent, I would be grateful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: