Author Topic: Writers' Digest Friedman Webinar Tuesday 6/19/2018  (Read 2856 times)

Offline RockWhitehouse

Writers' Digest Friedman Webinar Tuesday 6/19/2018
« on: June 18, 2018, 01:12:04 PM »
FWIW I got this in email today - Jane Friedman is doing a webinar tomorrow. From the description sounds like an annual thing.

$80 less a penny.

https://www.writersdigestshop.com/todays-key-book-publishing-paths-r9757

I have not decided whether to participate yet myself.  I am a client of hers.

And, nope, no agent yet.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Edison

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Writers' Digest Friedman Webinar Tuesday 6/19/2018
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
This sounds like it might be the webinar FirstChapter, a QueryTracker member, had recently participated in and was not happy with the promised feedback on her query. You might want to send her a message or check, on her QT member profile, her recent posts.

Could have been a different webinar.

Offline NextChapter

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
This sounds like it might be the webinar FirstChapter, a QueryTracker member, had recently participated in and was not happy with the promised feedback on her query. You might want to send her a message or check, on her QT member profile, her recent posts.

Could have been a different webinar.

I participated in a different webinar also run by Writers' Digest. The webinar part was good, but I was really hoping for much more from the critique. I was not happy with the agent who critiqued my query and first five pages, mostly because she seemed poorly focused (in a bad mood when she read it, and didn't really care what she wrote?). With another agent, it's worth a try. The price is right.

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
This appears to be a webinar on the publishing biz in general. To wit, the following copied from RockWhitehouse's link above:

"You’ll learn not just the foundational principles of book publishing today, but you’ll also gain expert insight into the changing industry landscape..."

Didn't see anything about a personal critiques.

Offline RockWhitehouse

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »
As jcwrites says, this is a webinar on the publishing industry in general, and (as I read it) some information to help you decide which path (regular, self-publish, whatever)  to follow.

I expect this to be similar to her presentation of getting published in The Greatest Courses and her latest book, perhaps updated with current trends.

I'm debating myself how long to push for classic publication or just go KDP and see what happens. I don't to be impatient but neither do I want to sit around (well, work on the next volume(s) in the series) while waiting for some agent to get around to telling me 'No!'
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Edison

Offline Sabreur

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 12:57:30 PM »
Rock,

In your genre I think KDP is a tough way to go. I used self-pub with some success, but I was in a very tight niche with tons of demand: fanfic for a very popular author, in which even the worst imaginable self-pub will get some sales. I wrote a take on the most popular work by that author, and sold thousands. I then followed up with a less derivative work on some of the minor characters from the original, and barely sold hundreds—using the same platform that got me all those first sales. No good. Your genre has tens of thousands of titles on Amazon, and, as a couple of my friends can attest, you just get swept into the fog.

Of course, some make it, and it may be that you would be one. But it was with this in mind that I decided not to self-pub anymore. Either I’ll make it, or I won’t. But once you self-pub a title, the chances of getting an agent to rep it almost disappear completely.

My two cents. Best of luck.

Offline RockWhitehouse

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »
Sabreur -

Good thoughts, thanks.

Still casting about for the right path. I still have something like 18 queries pending, so something may still happen.

I did buy the Friedman seminar and sat through it live. Once I get the complete q & a package, I may post a summary. My immediate reaction was that it was useful but general information.

Offline RockWhitehouse

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 08:04:51 AM »
Hi all -

I said I'd post a review after I got the Q&A, so here I am.

As I said right after, I thought it was a good general overview of the various routes available to get published today.

Most of what she covered is summarized in chart form here: https://www.janefriedman.com/key-book-publishing-path/

As someone new to this industry, I found it worthwhile. Someone already represented or already published might not find much new here.

Offline NextChapter

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »
Thanks for the review. Hope it helps you find a path to publication.