Author Topic: WHEN AGENT ASKS FOR INFO  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
Re: WHEN AGENT ASKS FOR INFO
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »
They're pretty close-minded if they're going to hold it against a writer for self-pubbing something. What they're querying now could be a best seller in the making.
THE ARCHIMEDES SOCIETY-Humor
THE KNOTTED GUN - Suspense
THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT-RomCom
NOOKS & GRANNIES-YA
GATSBY DELANEY - 7TH GRADE IMPRESARIO - MG
THIS AIN'T NO COWBOY MOVIE-YA
BROGWIN FRAYNEY & HOW HE NEARLY SAVED A KINGDOM-MG
DEATH AT THE DRIVE-IN - Gen'l Fiction
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE-Humor

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »
The received wisdom floating around the InterWeb (c.f. agent blogs such as Query Shark and others) is that an agent won't consider taking on a self-published novel unless it has verifiable sales (excluding freebies) of upwards of 10,000 copies.

That's to take on a self-pubbed novel. Zooks' potential(?) agent (or maybe an intern screening said agent's mail) evidently confused that with taking on the writer.

This has to be an aberration, with Zooks paying the penalty.

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 09:43:06 PM »
So far radio silence from agent after I emailed stating that the manuscript I had queried them about had NOT been self-pubbed.
NOOKS & GRANNIES-YA
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE-Humor

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 11:45:10 PM »
So far radio silence from agent after I emailed stating that the manuscript I had queried them about had NOT been self-pubbed.

Sorry to hear that. I'm going to hope that staff/agent is taking time off this week for travel, etc. since Independence Day is this week and that you'll hear something by early next week.
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 01:09:40 AM »
The received wisdom floating around the InterWeb (c.f. agent blogs such as Query Shark and others) is that an agent won't consider taking on a self-published novel unless it has verifiable sales (excluding freebies) of upwards of 10,000 copies.

That's to take on a self-pubbed novel. Zooks' potential(?) agent (or maybe an intern screening said agent's mail) evidently confused that with taking on the writer.

This has to be an aberration, with Zooks paying the penalty.

I think that writers in general, not just at this agency, can get stigmatized by having self-published any work ever.
And whether or not to mention having done that can take on the tone of "confessing" or "fessing up" to it.

This agent/or assistant seems to have gone as far as ferreting out the information, like a criminal background check. Then, ignoring the evidence in hand of the quality of the work (50 pages), she let the writer know she had found out what what the writer had done, as well as assumed, without any evidence (since there was none existing), that this submission was also self-published, but the writer didn't let on. I'd think twice about being represented by this agent.

I don't think I'd feel this way if the agent had said something like, "Since I was interested in the manuscript, l wondered about your overall internet presence. I see that you've had self-published works as well as traditionally published writing. Would you please clarify whether (TITLE of work submitted) had been previously published by either means?"

Nothing wrong, IMO, with checking out a potential client's internet presence. And of course, a submitting writer should specify (and a writer simply might not realize this) that the work currently submitted had been previously published, whether by self or by another publisher, if, in fact, the submission had been. Also, probably at the phone call stage, the writer should say whether any rights related to that manuscript had been granted or sold. That's a matter of professionalism and legal concerns no matter how it got published. An agent would need to know which options were available to market.
     But this does make a writer vulnerable to whatever prejudices and attitudes an agent may have toward an author who has self-published.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:46:27 AM by Munley »

Offline mgmystery

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 07:32:31 AM »
The whole situation seems ridiculous. It's possible that you sidestepped an agent who might have ended up with problems in the future. I honestly still wonder if your ethnicity not matching the MC's was the reason for the rejection and the agent has given an excuse. The stats that were mentioned about agents seeking minority authors are all over the place. However, I think it's encouraging that the agent liked your 50 pgs! Another agent putting the story first might see your potential as an author instead of all the other stuff involved. I'd keep sending out those queries!  :up: You're doing a good job to get this far!

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
Thank you 007 Fan, Munley and mgmystery. I appreciate the support and encouragement. I doubt I'll hear back from agent but will keep you apprised if I do.
NOOKS & GRANNIES-YA
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE-Humor

Offline Pineapplejuice

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 03:49:24 AM »
Zooks I'd do what JCWrites said and reply regarding the apparent mix up. It really sounds like she misread your email. I'm assuming that because I've never heard of agents not wanting to help writers publish an unpublished work just because they have self published other works.

Also,  I had no idea that 007's picture was where Dracula was inspired lol. I  do admire the profile pic though, every time I see it.

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
Hi Pineapplejuice - I did email the agent and clarified that the manuscript I queried about has NOT been self-published. So far, radio silence. :huh:
NOOKS & GRANNIES-YA
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE-Humor