Author Topic: Wish I had noticed this about the NOTE option on the main QT site ages ago  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Munley

• Atlantic Canada
I don't know why, but I had always taken for granted that the NOTES feature (the private one that turns green after you feed it something) could not be used until AFTER submitting a query to a particular agent.

So I used it only after submitting a query, noting things like some special reason for querying that agent, or had sent some extra info according to that agent's guidelines.

Now that I realize you can use NOTES in advance of sending a query, I fill it in with things like:

Guidelines specify to include:

a brief query letter
    a synopsis (1-2 pages long)
    the first 50 pages (approximately) of your manuscript
==========
Or I note some special reason I put this agent of my list of agents to query.
Might include a link to an interview I read, or whatever.

Duh

Offline NextChapter

Re: Wish I had noticed this about the NOTE option on the main QT site ages ago
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 07:31:03 AM »
When I send a query, I always note how long to wait before closing for no response, specifying "mid-Sept" instead of "6 weeks", so I won't have to perform calculations whenever I check.

Offline Munley

• Atlantic Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
When I send a query, I always note how long to wait before closing for no response, specifying "mid-Sept" instead of "6 weeks", so I won't have to perform calculations whenever I check.

Instead of putting this info into the note section, you could click on the bell-shaped icon and note it there. It will alert you in whatever time frame you designate.

Offline NextChapter

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:12:59 AM »
Instead of putting this info into the note section, you could click on the bell-shaped icon and note it there. It will alert you in whatever time frame you designate.

I did not know that. Thanks!

Offline Munley

• Atlantic Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:09:27 AM »
You're welcome. In my case, as I said, I had no idea you could use any of these options while building my list of agents I intend to query.

Thought I had to actually send out a query first.

Now that I realize I can use these features at any phase, I'm adding notes on why I chose each agent I want to query. This is especially helpful when Agent X and Y are from the same agency and you can't query Agent Y until you've had a NO from Agent X. By then I have probably forgotten my reason for adding Agent Y to the list of those I plan to query.

I should re-watch the videos on how to use the features. I've probably overlooked or forgotten more useful stuff.