Author Topic: Hmm?  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Chelc

Hmm?
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:20:15 PM »
After looking at my recent posts...that is to say the past maybe 3 weeks of posts...I realize that I for one am doing a terrible job of talking about writing
So, here's something I've wanted clarified, but felt like it would make me look like a naive idiot, so I kept my mouth shut.
What's an SASE?
It just doesn't make sense to me...it's what you enclose with the query letter so that the agent can send you a return letter, right. But, what's the point? Whatever happened to writing a return address right on the envelope? I don't get it... :huh:
This is probably 10 x simpler than I'm making it, but keep in mind that I overcomplicate things...people often have to tell me to "think like you're stupid".  ;D

Offline audal

Re: Hmm?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 09:25:16 PM »
It's so you're responsible for postage on the reply and not the agent.

Make the agent's job as easy as possible for them.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 09:26:35 PM »
I still don't get it!!!!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline audal

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 09:31:50 PM »
Oy.

OK... You want the agent to reply, so with your query letter, you put in an envelope with your own address.  And be sure to put either your address (which I do) -- or as some do, the address of the agency in the return corner of the envelope you're including with your letter.

If you were to NOT include a Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope, an agent will be P.O.'d  They often get hundreds of letters per week, and for them to address envelopes - not to mention pay 41 cents per envelope... Do you get it now?

And no one here thinks you're a naive idiot.

We have a separate forum where we talk smack about you.  ;D

Tell me what needs clarification & I'll keep trying, OK?
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline teen-writer

• Mubbly
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:35:25 PM »
Don't worry Chelc, I'm postal system disabled too. It took me a long time to understand how the SASE works, and I still have no idea why people put the agent's address on the SASE. In the my reasoning, that would just make it return to them after they send it....

But I don't ask questions about this anymore. I just nod my head and do what I'm told.

Offline audal

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:44:56 PM »
This is what all of my SASEs look like & I've got somethin' like a 90% return rate...

-------
!        !
!stamp!
!        !
-------
Quillkeepers' Tavern
667 Query Tracker Lane
Looneyville, CA 00000

Audall
Quillkeepers' Tavern
667 Query Tracker Lane
Looneyville, CA 00000

More clear?

Offline Chelc

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 09:45:42 PM »
Okay...it's getting much clearer... :stupid:
I guess I'll just worry about it later. Gotta come up with a flippin' title first, anyway  :!:

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »
It is to make the agent's job easier.  So all he/she has to do is drop their reply into the SASE and their done.  One more thing, agent's also prefer self-sealing envelopes for the SASEs (you know, the kind with the sticky stuff already on them so you don't have to lick 'em.)  It seams that having to lick 200 envelopes a day is not only dangerous, but it makes them talk funny, too.

And Chelc, it was really clever the way you steered the group back to a writing-related topic.  :up:

Offline Chelc

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »
alright. I understand it now. tahnks.
but now the writing-related topic is over   >:(