Author Topic: Genres  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Aightball

Genres
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
I'm editing my WIP and gearing up for querying and pitching in 2019.  I was surprised when I didn't see Urban Fantasy on the drop down list.  My book is definitely UF and fantasy doesn't work for it.  Can we please get Urban Fantasy added to the genre list? =)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
Re: Genres
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
That's an issue I've been struggling with for a long time. Here's why:

Unfortunately, I have to go by what agents put on their websites, and too few will list UF as a specific genre. Instead, the majority of them just list it as fantasy. 

This means you would have to search for fantasy agents anyway because too many don't list UF specifically. If you didn't, you'd be missing out on a lot of potential agents.

So the decision was made to not list it because authors would be better off having to cull the list a little, then completely missing out on 80% of the potential agents.

I hope that makes sense.

Offline Aightball

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
That definitely makes sense!  I didn't realize most just call it fantasy (I always think of super traditional fantasy like elves and stuff when I see fantasy).  I will be sure to search for fantasy agents, then, as I build my list and then narrow things down from there.  Thanks for the explaining!  :)

Offline Munley

• Atlantic Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
If you do a Google search and type in

Literary agents who represent "urban fantasy"    [Type all 6 words but be sure to put quotation marks around "urban fantasy" to weed out hits having anything to do with urban matters (not just novels) or fantasy in any context.]

you'll get a lot of hits on agents who represent your genre. Then you can look them up on QueryTracker.

Those on #MSWL (Manuscript Wish List) in any genre can get ridiculously specific about wishing for a certain type of book with a certain person doing a very particular thing or having a certain quirk, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Offline Aightball

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:15:27 PM »
If you do a Google search and type in

Literary agents who represent "urban fantasy"    [Type all 6 words but be sure to put quotation marks around "urban fantasy" to weed out hits having anything to do with urban matters (not just novels) or fantasy in any context.]

you'll get a lot of hits on agents who represent your genre. Then you can look them up on QueryTracker.

Those on #MSWL (Manuscript Wish List) in any genre can get ridiculously specific about wishing for a certain type of book with a certain person doing a very particular thing or having a certain quirk, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Thank you!  I didn't think about Google (I'm old, lol!).  I will definitely give that a try.