Author Topic: Romance Queries?  (Read 601 times)

Offline Smellerby

Romance Queries?
« on: February 15, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »
Anyone have any resources for writing a query for a romance? My current WIP is a science fiction romance, but the whole romance genre is pretty new to me, and I wanted to have a look at how people have incorporated romance into their blurbs and queries. I'd love to see examples of romance queries or any resources for tips and advice that anyone has found useful, if anyone has anything like that floating around in their bookmarks or something.

Just looking for general stuff at this point that might help me get started.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:22:46 PM by Smellerby »

Offline kaperton

Re: Romance Queries?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »
Here is my YA romance query.

Dear __________,

Since you said you liked “realistic and witty YA,” I hope my YA romance, HOW TO BE THE BIG SPOON, will appeal to you.

Sixteen-year-old Jamie is sick of hearing how lucky he is to be gay. His best friend Riley has written dozens of stories starring Jamie and Parker, the only boy Jamie has ever kissed. It’s not that Jamie isn’t grateful for the imaginary world Riley created for him, a world he escaped to during his father’s illness. It’s just that Parker moved away two years ago, and finding a real-life boyfriend seems impossible.

Because unlike in Riley’s stories, their rural Virginia high school isn’t teeming with out queer guys, and Jamie knows he’s not what anyone is looking for anyway: he’s not tall enough, white enough, and definitely not masculine enough.
When Parker returns to town and into Jamie’s life, Jamie thinks his dreams are finally coming true...until Parker says he’s straight.

Life would be so much easier if Jamie were a girl. He could embrace his femininity. Take harp lessons. Be Parker’s girlfriend. Jamie’s offhand joke to Riley that they should switch bodies inspires Riley to write her magnum opus: a body swap story starring the two of them. In Riley’s story, Jamie gets to try out an alternate life, where he can have everything he wants, but in real life, nothing is easy. Jamie has to learn how to grieve his father, keep himself from falling in love with Parker, and figure out what it means to be a man.

And when he starts taking harp lessons, Jamie is confused by his feelings for his irritating teacher Angus, with his emoji addiction and five thousand followers on social media. Aside from already being a brilliant musician at age seventeen, Angus is everything Jamie has tried not to be—even if, when Jamie is with Angus, he feels like he doesn’t have to try at all.

HOW TO BE THE BIG SPOON is a 97,000-word young adult romance that will appeal to fans of Openly Straight and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

Offline Smellerby

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. It's a great example. I like how seamlessly you were able to tie the romantic aspects into the plot.

Also: it's totally a story I would read. Let me know if/when it's available so I can get a copy.

Offline neverish

• leysaulnier.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:44:43 AM »
It hasn't been updated in a few years, but this successful query database has some romance queries:

http://carissa-taylor.blogspot.com/2016/06/query-theory-101-successful-query.html

Another option is to check out book flaps for romance novels similar to yours.

Offline Smellerby

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »
Thanks for the link! That's super helpful