Author Topic: Question about agencies or agents changing submission guidelines  (Read 759 times)

Offline wendyscribbles

Question about agencies or agents changing submission guidelines
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:28:33 PM »

So a few weeks ago I sent a query to an agent and I could have sworn that I read the Agency submission guidelines on the website and the agents guidelines on their personal website that they wanted the first three chapters or first thirty pages which ever came first in the query and double checking that that was what they wanted and what I put in the email.

Now, it's been a few weeks and I'm going through the emails I sent out (a nervous tick at this point.) and double checking with the agents guidelines and what not that I sent all the correct information and found that both the agency website and the agents website are saying first ten sample pages. The only place I could find that I might have read wrong was in QueryTracker where it still says first three chapters or first thirty pages.

So question is, is it possible they changed their submission guidelines since I sent the query out or  could I have read it wrong (possibly here on querytracker) and just sent way to many sample pages? (If so I'll kick myself and call it a learning curve.)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Question about agencies or agents changing submission guidelines
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 10:11:54 AM »
Don't kick yourself. It's fine. An agent can easily turn a three-chapter submission into a ten-page submission. ;-) And it won't be obvious unless they start reading the sample pages and get all the way to page ten -- at which point, they probably do want to keep reading, yanno? (Because generally,I think they turn it into a one-page submission if they don't like the beginning.)

It's possible they changed their guidelines, but regardless, what you sent is fairly standard. It's not as if you attached the whole book plus a video endorsement from your mom. :-D

Offline wendyscribbles

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »
Thanks. I guess I'm just nitpicking a bit too much and need to relax. Not like there's really anything I can do about it now anyways and definitely did not send the whole book.

Offline Smellerby

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:36:37 PM »
Some agent sites DO say that they won't even consider you if you don't follow their guidelines. But there's no sense beating yourself up about it. What's done is done. And whether it was a mistake or not, there's really not much you can do. Hopefully, there was a change somewhere along the way, and if not, I'm sure they will be understanding if they really like your story.

Offline Smellerby

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
I wanted to add some good news to this post (although I'm not sure if the OP still needs it). I recently got a full request from an agent (yay!) and when I looked back to review the original query I sent her, I realized I didn't follow her submission guidelines! She had asked for the first 20 pages, (and I even stated in the query "below are the first 20 pages") but I only included the first five! Whoops! :emb: Not sure how that happened, but the agent didn't mention it, and clearly the 5 was enough because, as stated, it resulted in a full so... you never know!

Offline wendyscribbles

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »
 Ha, thanks that does make me feel slightly better knowing some will  take the story into account! Congrats on your ful requests!