Author Topic: A question about a technique.  (Read 133 times)

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
A question about a technique.
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
Hi Guys, and yes I'm not dead...   been bouncing around from projects to project, not really settling on one.

Anyways I'm working on a story about Bullying and more importantly the bullying I went through as a kid, lessons learned, etc.  What I've been finding is that I can write these scenes, and they are great but I had problems stringing them together.

then I remembered this idea I had and wondered if it might work.  The idea being that present-day me has a car accident, and then the scenes about bullying are my life flashing before my eyes.  I realize this isn't normal straight up storytelling and likely will need a ton of work to become coherent and have the scenes work together correctly.

So I have two questions:

Have you read a book structured like this, and if so what is it called so I can read it for research.

And more importantly, does it sound like something that would work?
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline jcwrites

Re: A question about a technique.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »
Epistolary novels are common enough (although perhaps less so as letters have given way to emails, which have yielded to text messages and tweets); but you might frame this as a bundle of letters written by your younger self (recounting the bullying) and not found until after your older self has the accident. That way you could interweave two story lines--young you dealing with a bully, and older you drawing courage to deal with an unfolding current life situation.

All kind of ways you could work this. Google "epistolary novels"; you'll find a trove of novels to give you inspiration.

Hopes this helps.

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
Re: A question about a technique.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:59:46 PM »
not exactly what i was looking for but I can see where that type of storytelling mimics what I want to do as well.   I will check some out for sure.

just to clarify what I'm thinking is that each chapter is going to be one of these scenes from my head, Sort of a way to explain the time jump, each starts with a snippet of what is happening in the current (the car accident in slow motion) and then diving into the memory and continuing to build on the ongoing narrative.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.