Author Topic: Tell Second Agent First Has Rejected?  (Read 525 times)

Offline Scribner

Tell Second Agent First Has Rejected?
« on: April 26, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
I queried Agent 1 at a particular agency; she declined fairly quickly. I realized I really wanted to query Agent 2, same agency, since her interests seem more aligned with mine, intend to do so in a few days, but wonder--do I tell Agent 2 that her colleague has already seen and passed on it? Experiences with this? Thanks.

Offline jcwrites

Re: Tell Second Agent First Has Rejected?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:31:01 PM »
There's no simple yes/no here as each agency has its own rules. Some are "query one, query all"; i.e., the agents will circulate a query among themselves before issuing a blanket rejection (or so they claim). Others you may query individually but NOT simultaneously, the protocol being to wait a month or so, to give the previously queried agent time to pass or (god forbid) actually send you a written rejection. Check each agency's submission guidelines; you may or may not learn something useful.

(IMO, agent disdain for cold queries ranks up there—or down there—with robocalls.)

Offline sparrow

Re: Tell Second Agent First Has Rejected?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »
I have done this but only after checking carefully that the agency allows it. In my query to the second agent I mentioned I'd previously queried X and the response she'd given - ie, no response, but that I'd since repackaged the manuscript and felt it would now be a better fit for Y. (Y followed up with a partial request, if that helps! So obviously it was no problem to have requeried that agency.)