Author Topic: Do I withdraw?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Hogarth

Do I withdraw?
« on: May 05, 2019, 12:40:00 PM »
So an agent has had my full for almost 6 months now and it has been radio silence. I sent a nice follow up after 4 months, didnt get a reply and then sent another follow up a month later, no reply again.
At this point I'm considering this closed my question is, there is another agent at that agency I want to query. Do I send a 3rd follow up and ask to withdraw my material so I can submit to the other agent?

Offline BobNanna

Re: Do I withdraw?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
Crikey, six months is a long time to wait. More importantly, I don't think I'd want an agent who didn't reply to two emails. I think you dodged a bullet there! To cover all bases, I'd send an email to that agent saying you'd like to withdraw the MS, and then query the other agent, perhaps mentioning that it was with the first one but they appeared to be remarkably busy. Best of luck!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 05:52:07 AM »
I wouldn't even mention the other agent. Just send an email withdrawing from Agent A and send a fresh query to Agent B.

Offline Pineapplejuice

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
Seems wrong to  not reply after four months to an author you have a full from.

I think Tabris is probably right here.

Knowing me I'd probably email the agent and let them know but honestly by the sounds of it, they might not care. If they cared they'd have given you a response of some kind.

I don't think I'd want to work with someone like that...so yeah, maybe just stuff them lol. Go right on ahead.

Offline Hogarth

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »
yeah it's super frustrating. Especially when their initial email seemed so positive. But whatever. Gotta move on. Just gonna send a last follow up and politely say, hey I'm assuming you passed on this. Thanks

Offline KellyE

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »
I'm in the same boat, have 3 fulls out and it's been radio silence from all of them, coming up to 6 months for one, 3-5 months for the others. I'm currently crafting an email, straight out asking for an update and if I'm even still in the running, as all agents seem to act quickly when they're interested. It's so frustrating and terribly unprofessional, especially these days when self-publishing is so prevalent. *sigh* Good luck to us both!

Offline 217mom

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »
From author friends I understand that six months with a full is not rare. (My experience is that offers come much faster than that, but my experience is limited.) However, personally I wouldn't be comfortable working with someone who held on to a full for six months and A. Didn't reply to a nudge (assuming you waited three months before nudging) and B. Didn't so much as initiate a "still reading" sort of short Email your way in six months' time, even if you didn't nudge.
In this case I agree with Tabris^: no need to withdraw, just send to others without mentioning. Time's up when it's up, and life goes on. Should the full request from six months back resurrect itself, that's fine also. You did nothing wrong even if they are at the same agency. You waited a reasonable amount of time for a simple update.

Offline Hogarth

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I sent a last nudge after I posted this. Just saying hey I know your busy just checking, gonna move on. And no response. Also doesn't even look like this guys is opening his emails anymore. Just bummed all around. They're a really good agency and had my hopes up. I hate this whole process. Ohh well. Thanks for the advice, moving on.