Author Topic: Post-Apocalyptic Fiction Title Help  (Read 731 times)

Offline maciesnow

Post-Apocalyptic Fiction Title Help
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »
I'm really bad at titles. In fact, I've written well over a hundred pages of a manuscript before coming up with a decent title. Anyway, I recently completed a rewrite of the first novella I ever wrote, expanding it to more of a full-length novel. I'm letting it sit for a moment before going into my first edit. The novel is set five years after an alien invasion that wiped out a vast majoriy of the population, somewhere in the 90-95% range. The remainder of humanity fights for control of the remainding resources and what's left. The story follows a group of survivors who embark on a dangerous journey for acceptance and safety. The story is most similar to The Road, but also has elements of A Quiet Place, and I am Legend.

The original title was "Journey Through the End of the World", but someone told me that was too long and old-school so I shorted it to "Through the End of the World". What I've got now is "Through the End"

Offline Waterfall

• My author website
Re: Post-Apocalyptic Fiction Title Help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 02:21:41 PM »
The three titles you've named don't hint at the post-apocalyptic element at all. The Road. A Quiet Place. I Am Legend. I just started reading another post-apocalyptic novel, Ling Ma's Severance. What circumstance or condition or phenomenon, aside from the alien invasion, most thoroughly marks the survivors? That might give you a clue to your title. Anything with "the end" in it is going to just name the genre. Your title wants to set it apart.

Offline maciesnow

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:57:12 AM »
Well, so the world they live in has been divided into factions or tribes I guess, tribalism is a major theme in the novel. There's five major groups mentioned: The Republic (think NCR in the Fallout series), Crusaders (fundamentalist Christians gone insane), Chosen (people who worship the aliens, called Watchers, as divine beings and saviors), Trolls (raider-like people who rob kill people on the roads), and The Pride (LGBTQ+ survivors). There is also a struggle for acceptance among the main character, who is a transwoman, her friends (two of which are gay and another one is her partner), and their group's leader. This group at the beginning is not affiliated with any of the groups, officially, but are "Friends of Dorothy" which means they are safehouses for traveling Pride members, and there's tension between the leader of the group and the main characters about this.

Offline Waterfall

• My author website
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »
THE FIVE TRIBES OF __________ has a nice ring to it, with the blank filled in with the place it all occurs.

THE FIVE TRIBES OF JERICHO
THE FIVE TRIBES OF LATE EARTH
THE FIVE TRIBES OF BALTIMORE

etc...