Author Topic: CNR Question  (Read 366 times)

Offline goldie10

CNR Question
« on: July 19, 2019, 02:15:12 PM »
If you mark CNR on a query, does it remove it from the agent's queue or is that just something you and others on the site see? Just curious as I see some queries changed to CNR soon after submission (far before the avg response time) and thought that was odd. Could it be an individual organizational system?

Thanks

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: CNR Question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 03:50:46 PM »
The agent doesn't see these. Writers mark things as CNR when they feel comfortable with it.

Some agents I marked as CNR the instant I sent it, on the grounds that they never sent rejections and I would have to go back into the system to change it to a request anyhow if they requested it.

Offline goldie10

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:52:56 PM »
Interesting. I'm not sure I understand it, but if that works for you  :up:  :)

Offline goldie10

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 04:56:39 PM »
But then again I'm brand new to querying (obviously) and still can't figure out how in this day and age, agents can't send out rejection notices to everyone who they are rejecting. The form rejections probably take 10 seconds to copy, paste, and send. Or, am I missing something? (Again, new here.)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »
But then again I'm brand new to querying (obviously) and still can't figure out how in this day and age, agents can't send out rejection notices to everyone who they are rejecting. The form rejections probably take 10 seconds to copy, paste, and send. Or, am I missing something? (Again, new here.)

It's rude. I don't know how else to explain it.

Some agents have been burned by people who get form rejections and try to argue with them. Okay. But you're right that it should take ten seconds to reject with a form. A long while ago, I think it was Janet Reid who explained her process that involved inserting the form rejection into an email signature, that way it was a matter of hitting reply and selecting the form rejection signature, and then being done. I'm sure other agents have other methods, but yeah.

Offline goldie10

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's incredibly rude.
Slow torture watching people get rejected above and below me and weeks later, crickets...I'm new but not naive enough to think they are struggling that much over mine (and others) LOL.

Ah, well.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
I think with some agencies, the above/below phenomenon happens because the screener is rejecting manuscripts that would NEVER be a good fit for the agency (ie, your motorcycle maintenance manual isn't going to work with an expert in French history) but yours checked enough boxes that the screener wants the agent to take a look at it.

Sometimes the agent herself has screened a query into the "maybe" pile and will get to it when she gets to it. eg, your manuscript sounds interesting but she just made an offer on a similar manuscript and doesn't think she can place two such books.

The ones that bothered me most were the ones who send rejections about twenty-five percent of the time, and the other three quarters were CNR. Like really, why are you doing that? Be consistent. Why are some people special enough to get rejections and the rest of us get tossed to the back of the closet?

Don't get me started on the agents who ghost you on a full or a partial. :-b