Author Topic: Make sure to research!  (Read 468 times)

Offline retroisking

Make sure to research!
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
On a website today (will keep it anom) an author was overjoyed and shared how she signed with a literary agent. Happy for  her I clicked on her agents profile and dread began to fill me when I later researched. The agent worked for her own agency, which is fine, but under the authors page, only nine authors were listed.
Now that in itself is no big deal. New agency (so I, new clients, great opportunity to get in, right? Well this agent had been in the business for nearly twenty years.... Each book 'sold' to one of two different independent presses. One of the presses appeared to be started by the agent. Each of the publishers took on unagented submissions. Are you following me?

So here is my point. If an agent has ten thousand twitter followers, videos on Youtube or even shares pictures of cats, ignore the fluff and research. That does not mean, "Oh wow she is looking for fantasy" but who they are, associations, titles sold and who they sold it to!
Here is a pro tip. If they have been an agent for sometime, look at their followers especially on twitter. Notice the lack of other agents/editors/legit publishers following them? Alarm bells should be ringing. But even if they have all that, still research.  This is the second time in a month I have seen postings of joy while I shake my head in sorrow for the disappointment coming to them.

Good luck to all, but do not let the dream override careful research.

Offline Pineapplejuice

Re: Make sure to research!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 03:16:51 AM »
That all sounds a bit suss

Can you tell us who it is so we don't query them?