Author Topic: Do these changes change my nonfiction to fiction?  (Read 279 times)

Offline Circles

Do these changes change my nonfiction to fiction?
« on: July 21, 2019, 04:46:30 PM »
I started writing a memoir but through the course of it, I ended up combining a few events and characters and I'm not sure if I can call it a memoir\nonfiction now. I have changed the following things:

Biggest changes involve my sister. And I list biggest changes first.

I go and visit a friend who was going to college out of state. It was easier to make it going to visit my sister since the friend never plays in the story again. My sister went to a community college in my home state. Since I had already talked about her work at a spa in my home town earlier, I said she took a year off to work and connected it to her real-life quality of doing what she wants even if it goes against convention. I don't talk about any interactions with her there, only that I went to visit which was important.

I combine a trip out of state with my sister's wedding. She did not get married out of state and the trip was just a summer vacation but it flowed together nicely. The drive out of state was important and the wedding was important. I talk about how she wanted an extravagant wedding which was true.

I changed the location and type of tattoo she has.

I don't mention my two oldest siblings since they didn't live at home and weren't involved in the story. I act like it's only the two siblings

I change the location of where my brother goes to live

I change everyone's names

I'm not positive of the timeline of the major events but do my best

I do my best with dialogue but obviously, don't remember the exact words, just the general gist of things

I say that my boyfriends speak Klingon but I'm pretty sure he was just a huge Trekkie and it was one of his friends who did

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Do these changes change my nonfiction to fiction?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 04:49:55 PM »
I don't think those changes are substantive enough to make it fiction.

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »
What do you gain by calling it fiction?

Offline paddler

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 02:50:55 PM »
You propose non-fiction. In doing that you have to prove you have some knowledge of the subject and that you have a platform to work off of. Sometimes you have to show your marketing plan.

Fiction you write and query. If the stars align and a comet passes by correctly, you get published.