Author Topic: AGENTS AND EDITING  (Read 462 times)

Offline NOT AGENT X

AGENTS AND EDITING
« on: August 08, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
While waiting to hear from an agent re queries, we all bemoan the months it takes for a response....if we even get one. We all know agents are busy busy busy. Maybe they are too busy nitpicking a submission to bits.

In the past I've had the fortunate experience of having books published with a well respected editor...and no agent.  It seems to be that nowadays agents are eager to be hands on editors themselves. Who wouldn't want our ms tweaked and polished some but  maybe the real editing should be left to real editors at publishing houses. After all it's what they are hired to do -- edit.  Btw my editor never line edited like some agents are doing, and I'm not claiming to be the world's greatest writer. 

I mention the nitpicking because I have heard some podcasts where agents took apart  submission samples line by line.

We do want our agent to be totally into our story and writing style  and to be an eager representative .  Having an overall excited feeling about our submission should be enough to offer to represent it. If the major editing is left to a publishing house editor maybe agents would have more time to respond to queries and submissions.

Keep in mind that lifelong relationships do happen with the editor who does offer the publishing contract. Often that relationship is even stronger than any we come to have with an agent.

Just a thought...

Offline jessikalindst

• Twitter: @jessianney
Re: AGENTS AND EDITING
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 04:01:32 PM »
Great observation, I think about this as well. For many, including authors who are published, say that any agent who holds a manuscript 'hostage' so to speak, due to excessive editing before sending out to submission is a big clue and just as you said, there are professional editors who do this service, why should it be the agent's job to be the editor? Not to say an editorial agent is bad, and it's good to send out a manuscript that both parties are proud of but it should be something that writers should consider if they even want an agent like that. 

So, this sort of thing falls under agent fit which is something that not too many writers will think about because it's exciting of course to get an offer especially if it's been years of nothing but pros and cons have to be weighed. I actually made a post about the subject a bit ago too if you're curious: https://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=23683.0

Anyway, again, these are definitely good aspects to ponder.  :)