Author Topic: Looking up stuff for crime/thrillers  (Read 42 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
Looking up stuff for crime/thrillers
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:58:47 PM »
OKAY, so this question has probably been asked to death (puns always intended), but ... when looking up poisons/ways to kill people when researching for your novels, don't you guys feel like you're gonna get investigated or something? How does that work?
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline jcwrites

Re: Looking up stuff for crime/thrillers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
Why, are you hiding something?

Offline jldelozier

• Author website
Re: Looking up stuff for crime/thrillers
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
AlythiaB - OMG, yes! When I was writing Type & Cross and Blood Type X, in which a scientist with a chip on his shoulder develops a virus which attacks its victims based on blood type, I had to do a ton of research on bioterrorism and the hemorrhagic viruses like Ebola. Of course, this was right after the huge Ebola scare, and I was certain the Men in Black were going to show up at my door, or that I was at least flagged in the NSA's system for all my internet searches. (newsflash: no men in black appeared at my door. As far as the NSA, can't say...)

As far as how it works, I have no idea. If you're truly worried, purchase a copy of the myriad books out there on poisons etc. so she had a hard copy reference. Or do your sensitive searching at the library on one of their computers  ;D