Author Topic: Agent Requested Full, Sent it off, Still Waiting?  (Read 81 times)

Offline imagination1

• YA Writer
Agent Requested Full, Sent it off, Still Waiting?
« on: August 15, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
Hi everyone! Been debating about posting on the forum but I need some clarification or I don't know advice?

I sent off my query and full manuscript to an agent who requested it at a conference. I waited the full 12 weeks and then sent in the follow-up e-mail a month ago. Still haven't heard back and my birthday is at the end of this month. My family was telling me to send another nudge at the end of this month. I don't want to bother the agent and I have a gut feeling she read my email. At the same time I'm anxious and always checking social media.

I've kept the query in Query Tracker and its been over 120 days. Don't know if I should wait until October which is my MS deadline for 6 months? Send another nudge? I was waiting for a revise and re-submit ya'know...and there hasn't been a response besides that my MS was received. Don't know what to do. This is my first agent and I was told from the writers conference to not send out other queries to agents if one has been requested.

Is this normal? The wait and all?

Offline jcwrites

Re: Agent Requested Full, Sent it off, Still Waiting?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »
The wait is normal; the silence isn't.

Here's the issue: Do you want to build a professional relation with an agent who's so uncommunicative? I wouldn't. So my advice is, if you didn't agree to an exclusive (which you should never do), start querying. If you did, notify the agent that you're going to resume querying and that if you get an offer, you'll let them know in time to respond.

Good luck.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Agent Requested Full, Sent it off, Still Waiting?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 05:38:47 AM »
Did you specifically tell this agent your submission was exclusive? Did that agent ask for it to be exclusive? If NO, then start querying now.

Gut feelings mean nothing at this stage. Assume the agent buried your message in her inbox and let her go until the end of the month and nudge again. In the meantime, get your query letter to a high shine and start sending it out. If the agent doesn't respond to the second nudge, then the only other email she's going to receive from you is "Offer of Representation" along with the deadline by which time you have to respond to a different agent.