Author Topic: Cypress Canyon Publishing...  (Read 129 times)

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
Cypress Canyon Publishing...
« on: August 29, 2019, 06:02:50 PM »
Long-time no post from me.

long story short I've been bouncing around between a lot of different projects but not really finishing anything.  I noticed an editor/agent offering to read people's work and let them know what type of edits and price range they could expect and thought What the hell.

I threw "What Happened at Kate's House" at them since it really is my only finished work even if it was shelved and received a pretty positive response from the Agent/Editor stating that She liked what she was reading and wanted my permission to continue reading to see if she could offer me publication.

they are a very young indy Press and offer no Advance but she is saying that there would be no fees to do everything from editing to publishing the book.  As far as I can tell they handle both electronic and Paper, but I can't find them on query tracker.  I'm assuming it's because they are very new.

Anyone know them or any advice on how to move forward here?
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline Falthor

Re: Cypress Canyon Publishing...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »
Hey guys just bumping this up with an update.

I've now been offered a publishing contract with Cypress Canyon.  all that I can find on them on the internet is that they are very new.

I'm still looking for any info anyone might have, as well as a place to get the contract reviewed to make sure it's not predatory.

Any help on the next steps, if I should even be making them, would be appreciated.

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 01:01:05 PM »
First off, congratulations on your contract!... Awesome news.

As to the contract itself, check out the Authors' Guild. For a small fee they'll review deal. (It's a service for members, I believe, but you have to be published to join.)

Good luck.

Offline GLZyx

• Sci Fi & Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 03:52:53 AM »
Hey guys just bumping this up with an update.

I've now been offered a publishing contract with Cypress Canyon.

Congrats!  :toast:

First off, congratulations on your contract!... Awesome news.

As to the contract itself, check out the Authors' Guild. For a small fee they'll review deal. (It's a service for members, I believe, but you have to be published to join.)

Good luck.

Offline Munley

• Atlantic Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:22:32 AM »
I've come across various lawyers in Canada (where you are, right?) who handle "intellectual property" specifically.

This one is in Nova Scotia (where I am, last time I looked), if you want a sample, but you can probably find one in your area.

https://boyneclarke.com/lawyers/christene-h-hirschfeld-q-c/

Congratulations on your offer!

Offline Falthor

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 07:12:17 PM »
next question.

I've been in discussions with the publisher while I have had the contract reviewed and I asked what the turn around they expect to be.  I was told they expect to get my book to market in 90 days once editing is started.

for a small indy pub is this normal?  I've asked what level of editing they felt needed to be done as I've heard horror stories of shoddy editing etc that have been done on indy pub book in the past.

I'm more than ok with the time table for work and the like, just more shocked that the editing level didn't seem to be higher or was set to take any longer than that.

Offline Douglasesper

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »
Hi there,

Congrats on the offer. I was checking out there site for any red flags. I noticed they have two books out (one fiction, one nonfiction). The fiction book was released two days ago (ebook goes on sale next month). The ebook is priced at 9.99 and the paperback is 24.99, which seems high and might hinder sales.
Have you learned anything else?
Doug

Offline Falthor

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 07:43:06 AM »
they are super new.   like within their first year new.  So there really isn't a lot else to say.  I'm near positive I would be the second Fiction Author signed to the label.

All of this scares me and doesn't at the same time.  I don't know how to explain it.  This project that they want to publish has been dormant for 2-4 years while I worked on other stories ideas and I had already made up my mind that it wouldn't see the light of day unless it was years from now and I did a complete re-write.  I'm pumped to push it but I also don't really want to make a mistake ont his one, first impressions and bad sales numbers etc.