Author Topic: PARTIAL REQUEST!!!!  (Read 532 times)

Offline jessikalindst

• Twitter: @jessianney
Re: PARTIAL REQUEST!!!! - UPDATE 2
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
Well, the reply came from the second agent and it was a pass. She wrote a very long, personalized note to me though that was very kind and I appreciated the time she took to say the things she did.

I know that this may sound discouraging, or silly of me to say but at this point...I don't know who will want this book. A few people have said that it was too commercial in voice or it sounds too stoically Victorian (being the era my fantasy is set in). I choice to stop querying this story for a bit--I don't know how long I plan to not, that hasn't been decided--if this second agent said no, which obviously it has happened and now I'm feeling a bit...well, at a loss really. I just don't know if I should keep querying this story anymore. Maybe it's not ready, in terms of the market? Or as I stated, my voice is too old sounding for the modern reader, which I get, but for me I love to really keep true to the era because I love it so much.

Anyway, I hate to sound like a debbie downer here, but at this point this story may just be one I needed to write for myself. Something I needed to finish so I know I can write another book--which I am doing but a totally different genre and more modern setting. That's okay though, I'm fine with if this first book I wrote is just for me, it needed to come out and I wanted to write it so I did and it's done and I still am very proud of it.

Offline Cobalt_Caster

Re: PARTIAL REQUEST!!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 11:47:13 PM »
Ultimately, my advice depends on how many queries have been rejected. If you're nearing three figures it may in fact be time to stop. But if you're still early on and you're getting agent responses then it may be worth pursuing further.

I would absolutely re-examine the manuscript in light of agent comments, especially if they're personalized. It is ultimately a business decision for agents to take your manuscript and so you must cater to that.

I will say I'm a bit confused by the "too commercial" line. What does that even mean? The Victorian point may, if I am allowed to guess, suggest your characters all sound similarly formal when talking. I don't know if that's true, but it's something I've seen in similarly set writings. Or it could simply not be to the agent's taste. One of my favorite books, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, tends to be love it or hate it. If you haven't read it I would suggest it, since every character does speak formally but has a distinctive voice. Also it took ten years to get published, so don't despair too soon.

I hope that helps. As an attorney, all I can say is that most infuriating stock legal answer: "It depends."

Offline jessikalindst

• Twitter: @jessianney
Re: PARTIAL REQUEST!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 07:09:16 AM »
So far, I've hit about 90 rejections but have had seven requests in the almost two years of querying this story. In total, I've sent out 97 queries.

The response was along the lines of saying the dialogue just sounded too formal for this agent particularly, so it was definitely a preference thing. I agree with being confused about it sounding 'commercial' which was what one past agent said. I still don't quite know how one agent thought it sounds one way them this one saying it's too 'stoically Victorian'. It keeps turning out to be a personal preference which is totally fine, we all have them.
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is one of my favorites too! It in part inspired this story, mainly with me wanting to place it in the era I have and a bit of the magic aspect but I absolutely love it. I also thought the TV mini series adaptation of it was great as well. I will add here, that my voice isn't as extensively Victorian as JS&MN, I didn't full on write in Old English but the characters are formal in the way they address each other. I do use a few slang/terms of the time period mainly to add authenticity but not so much that it takes away from anything. I could post the first chapter again on here to see what others think especially since I revised it.

Anyway, thank you so much for your input Cobalt_Caster, I very much appreciate it. :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:47:46 PM by jessikalindst »