Author Topic: Pitch Wars  (Read 59 times)

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
Pitch Wars
« on: September 11, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »
So, I've been contemplating entering Pitch Wars this year, but my genre is literary fiction. The mentors announced their wish lists last night, and I can find three, maybe four, who have expressed an interest in literary fiction. Since you're limited to pitching to four mentors, that makes my choices easy. LOL!

But...With so few mentors even willing to consider literary fiction, is it even worth it? Makes me wonder how many agents shopping the showcase will be interested in literary fiction as well. Thoughts?

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline jcwrites

Re: Pitch Wars
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 01:01:36 PM »
Is it worth it?... Seems to me you should ask, What have I got to lose?

My feeling is, there's plenty of interest in literary fiction. The problem is, so few writers do it well.

Go for it.

Offline jldelozier

• Author website
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »
I agree with jcwrites. It's free, and the only significant time it takes to submit is crafting a good query and synopsis. That time is never wasted, because those items will come in handy in the future. The only downside is if those four mentors who do accept literary submissions don't seem like the type of subjective experts with whom you'd like to work (i.e. if you feel you're at their same or even above their level of expertise.) Then it's truly a waste of your time, and you should just proceed to submitting your manuscripts to agents without further mentoring/editing.

Good luck!

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:12:05 PM »
Okay. I'm going for it! After reading carefully through the blog posts, I found nine possible choices and at least 5 that look promising. In fact, one of them mentioned she loved one of the comps I'm planning to use, so... Here goes.

Wish me luck! Thanks for the encouragement.  :up:

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline jldelozier

• Author website
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 06:27:15 PM »
You can do it - go forth and SLAY, Jeanne!  :ninja: