General > Forum Support

Fiction book category

(1/1)

shipwrite:
My completed 119,00 word novel is set in the 1970's and incorporates some "cameos" by real-life American authors and artists. It was originally written as an adult book with a teenage narrator but after more rejections than I can count I began submitting it as a YA novel. Unfortunately I have been no more successful. I have reduced the length already to the 119,000 word length, but it is just a long story to tell. Any ideas for either making further cuts or changing categories? Thanks.

jcwrites:
A novel containing cameos purportedly written by "real life" authors would probably invite lawsuits from said authors. No publisher would want to run that risk.

TigerAsh:

--- Quote from: jcwrites on September 23, 2019, 01:54:15 PM ---A novel containing cameos purportedly written by "real life" authors would probably invite lawsuits from said authors. No publisher would want to run that risk.

--- End quote ---

:agree:

JTSHEA:
You don't give us much info to go on. What YA category do you mean? Are you getting any feedback with the rejections? Using real-life people could indeed be a problem, but many writers have done so by fictionalizing the characters. What matters then is how positive or negative the portrayals are and how thick or thin the disguise.

CatManDoo:

--- Quote from: TigerAsh on September 23, 2019, 02:46:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: jcwrites on September 23, 2019, 01:54:15 PM ---A novel containing cameos purportedly written by "real life" authors would probably invite lawsuits from said authors. No publisher would want to run that risk.

--- End quote ---

Actually, if the person who is making a cameo is a celebrity or very well known or dead, it may not be a risk of any kind. It may depend on what is said, but often famous people or public figures are fair game. Would consult a lawyer or your agent when you get one. Would not cut out your cameos until you discuss with a professional...
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version