Author Topic: Landed my agent!  (Read 226 times)

Offline kdsd731

Landed my agent!
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:28:21 PM »
I wanted to come on here and share my success story in hopes of encouraging others to keep going.

I started querying back in late August of 2019. I queried about 35 agents (some from in person pitches, some from Twitter pitch contests), got about 6 full requests and 2 partials. Most of the fulls came back as rejections, though two were still up in the air. I was offered rep in April by an agent I queried back in September and she seemed great, but I wanted to reach out to others who still had my manuscript (as you always should).  I nudged every agent who still had a full, partial, and even a query.  This led to another full request from an agent who had a partial, but she politely passed.

Here's where it gets really exciting: One day before I was set to sign with the agent who made the original offer, an agent who I queried in Feb emailed me to say she was sorry she missed out on my MS and that I should let her know if it ever becomes available again. I responded to let her know I hadn't signed yet and she asked me to send her the full so she could pull an all-nighter. And she did. She emailed me an offer of rep/phone call early the next morning and I accepted. I think that might have been one of the craziest whirlwinds of my life and definitely of my writing career.

Let me just tell you that I almost didn't even reach out to agents with only a query because it seemed like an impossible feat to squeeze in a read in a small two week time frame. But as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm so glad I went with this agent as she seems amazing already. She's very knowledgeable and has a lot of years in the industry, including novel editing experience for a big publisher.

Here's my other piece of encouragement: I almost gave up on this MS so many times. I've been working on it for years. Years. I revised it so many times and worried I'd never get it right. I'm so glad I didn't give up. This book turned out to be everything I always hoped it would be and I know with her editing notes, I will sharpen it even more before submission.

Don't give up on your dreams, you have no idea how close you might be.

Offline jcwrites

Re: Landed my agent!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »
Good story. Never give up.

Offline TigerAsh

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 01:27:25 AM »
Congrats! Great story!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline MDane

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 01:48:23 AM »
Awesome story and great motivation. Thanks for sharing!

One thing I am curious about (and will experience one day): what do you tell the agent who has offered to rep you while you reach out to the others?

Cheers again

Offline kdsd731

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 11:37:40 AM »
Thank you and great question MDane.

The original offering agent knew I was contacting other agents and suggested I do so. I'd say almost all agents expect this and know it's common courtesy to agents who may be taking time to read your manuscript. Not giving them a chance to reply, especially if they've put time into your work, is in bad form. The offering agent gave me 2-3 weeks to get back to her.

At the end of the call, you should let them know that you need a little time to contact any agents with your MS, to tie up loose ends, and I would ask what their time frame is. Two weeks is pretty standard. And again, this shouldn't be a shock to the agent and I think if they react poorly, that might be a good sign you don't want to work with them.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Offline eroux

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for this post! I needed to hear this today! <3