Author Topic: Agent Response Times  (Read 1896 times)

Offline jackbenny39

Re: Agent Response Times
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 07:36:35 AM »
One more question for you awesome folks (and I mean that sincerely!): Would it be worth reaching out to her assistant to make sure there's not a technical issue? I emailed her again last week to say I'd like to set up regular check-ins and to request a list of places where she has submitted my manuscript, and still have not received a response. Would emailing her assistant to ask if there's a technical issue come across as passive-aggressive? At this point I am honestly wondering if my messages are just not going through for some reason, but I don't want to be unprofessional or annoying. Thank you all in advance for your insights!!

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 07:56:22 AM »
I've not reached the point of having an agent, but from what you've told us, something sounds off.

If an agent has taken you on and is submitting, then clearly they believe in your work and thus want it to succeed. The relationship should be open and friendly by this point. If I were an agent, I'd keep all my authors up to date and happy in this regard. 

Yes there are delays and silence, but it should not be that delayed and silent at this stage.

All I can offer is what I would do in this case: phone them and ask for an update. Unless they clearly told you not to phone them. And I'd say something along the lines of, "I've had some problems with mails recently so wanted to make sure the ones I sent to you came through."

Perhaps the mailbox you send to is the same one the agent uses to manage queries (in which case, your message can quickly get lost).
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 01:09:24 PM »
Make a phone call at this point. You say you don't want to be unprofessional, but the agent seems to be operating under no such scruples.

Calling is professional, and as a client, you are allowed to make the call. "Hi, Eowyn, it's me, jackbenny! Just wanted to touch base since we haven't been having a lot of luck talking via email."

If that doesn't help, then I don't know what to tell you. Look at your contract and see what your options are for cutting the agent loose. If there's a clause saying you have to give the agent a letter outlining your grievances and giving her thirty days to get her act together, it might be time to send that letter.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 01:12:44 PM »
If you don't want to call yet, then resend the previous email along with a note at the top saying, "I didn't get your reply to this. Please send me the list of editors to whom you submitted the manuscript." Then give it another few days and next Wednesday or thereabouts, pick up the phone.

Offline DrCCat

• (The one and only)
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2021, 11:40:03 AM »
One more question for you awesome folks (and I mean that sincerely!): Would it be worth reaching out to her assistant to make sure there's not a technical issue? I emailed her again last week to say I'd like to set up regular check-ins and to request a list of places where she has submitted my manuscript, and still have not received a response. Would emailing her assistant to ask if there's a technical issue come across as passive-aggressive? At this point I am honestly wondering if my messages are just not going through for some reason, but I don't want to be unprofessional or annoying. Thank you all in advance for your insights!!

What is the name of this agent? So I can best avoid them in the future.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam - attributed to General Hannibal

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »

What is the name of this agent? So I can best avoid them in the future.

I hope it's my ex-agent, otherwise there's two of them out there. :-b

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
Here is a blog post by literary agent Janet Reid about agents who don't update their clients on submissions.

In addition to her discussion of what sort of communication a client should expect in general from a reputable and competent agent, there are comments about some agents (not named) whose submissions editors regularly ignore.

https://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2017/01/my-agent-wont-tell-me-where-my-project.html