Author Topic: Querying different agents at the same agency? Taboo?  (Read 234 times)

Offline stevenmnedeau

Querying different agents at the same agency? Taboo?
« on: January 15, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »
I've heard competing answers on this topic.

The youtube channel Writerly said that you should never query more than one agent at the same agency for your manuscript. She said that a 'no' from one agent at a literary agency is usually a 'no' from all the agents in that agency.

Someone else told me that as long as you waited a few weeks to a month after the first rejection  :'( , you could query another agent working for the same agency.

I expected guidelines for this would be listed as part of the submission guidelines for each agency but I've only seen this spelled out at one agency.

What is your experience?

Offline mafiaking1936

• http://ericlewis.ink/
Re: Querying different agents at the same agency? Taboo?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »
That's ridiculous. Query them all, just not at the same time. If they explicitly say not to...wait until they forget and do it anyway. The worst they can do is reject you again. Honestly a lot of these agencies have such a high turnover you could be dealing with a whole new set six months later. That 'no from all' stuff is to reduce their workload.

Offline AstronautMikeDexter

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:41:28 AM »
Unless they specifically say a no from one is a no from all, then I'd definitely query whomever you want (just not at the same time).

Also, if you only got a form rejection from one agent, I can't imagine they would have shared that with another agent at the agency so it would probably be fresh to them. If an agent requested a full or partial, I think it's more likely they could have shown it to another agent who they feel might fit better.

Offline klclou

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
I have queried even with a 'no from all' stipulation, but only twelve months later after many revisions have taken place. I go by what the agency stipulates - if they say 'no from all' I assume they mean it.