Author Topic: Opinions on Trilogy order  (Read 134 times)

Offline tb.tallbird

• I live in a fairy tale world!
Opinions on Trilogy order
« on: January 16, 2020, 03:41:56 AM »
 My trilogy, Pindra Generations, is a book that I've basically written the books out of order. The middle book is first. Let me give you a run down so everyone understands my dilemma.

Pindra Generations-Protector

This story is about a man who becomes the Protector of a destructive crystal in order to keep it out of the hands of a power hungry king.

Pindra Generations-Keepers

This story is about two of the Protector's family members who have been made unwittingly by the Protector, the Keepers of the destructive crystal in order to do the same thing as their uncle. With a few twist.

Pindra Generations-Seeker

This story is about the daughter of one the the Keepers who has to find the destructive crystal and use it to fix a problem that was caused in the middle book, Keepers. Basically her father put the crystal in a place that only his bloodline can get to.

My book, Keepers, actually is necessary to come first because nobody knows who the Protector is and most, excepting the Protector himself and the power hungry king even know that there is really a crystal with destructive power. The Keepers don't even know what their role is at the beginning of the book. These things are revealed as the book is written.

Obviously, Seeker would have to come next as it's about fixing an issue caused in the book, Keepers.

Now, you are probably asking yourself, "Why have the book Protector, at all?" The answer is, because the connection between the Protector and the power hungry king leaves questions as to: how did the Protector even get that role? So there's a definite story there to tell.

Here's my question, is it actually doable to publish these books in this order? What would you do if you disagree?  :huh:
Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, some exciting. But if you never turn the page... you will never know what the next chapter holds.

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
Re: Opinions on Trilogy order
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:58:30 AM »
Here's my question, is it actually doable to publish these books in this order? What would you do if you disagree?  :huh:

If Keepers makes sense without the Protector book being first, then I don't see why not. Protector would be considered a prequel, being published after Keepers and Seeker.

You could always consider what I'll do for my large series, which I might have begun a bit late in overall story, having possibly written the 2nd book first. The written book does make sense, is a rich story, etc, and was really enjoyed by everyone who'd read it, but I was still like, hmm. So I thought I would make the "before where I started story" a prequel once the whole series was complete (only if it found success, of course ;D). However, if I don't get anywhere with the written book as the first book for the series, I will write the "prequel", consider it the first book of the series instead of a prequel, and query that to see if I can get my foot in the door for the series to follow it and already have the next book done (though I'd have to make some adjustments, which won't be too difficult, and would only do if I got anywhere with the new first book of the series).

So, in my opinion, you have options, which is super nice.  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 02:14:44 AM by 007 fan »
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:04:21 AM »
Check out Hugh Howey's books in the Silo series. The middle book takes place before the first book and is actually the story of how the silo came to exist in the first place. Then book 3 ties together the stories from book1 and book 2.

Offline tb.tallbird

• I live in a fairy tale world!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
Thank you guys so much. This has been eating at me since I started.
Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, some exciting. But if you never turn the page... you will never know what the next chapter holds.