Author Topic: What might cause an agent with a high reply rate to not respond at all?  (Read 504 times)

Offline stevenmnedeau

Welcome to my mind.

Was just wondering what might cause an agent with a high response rate to not respond to a query?

Offline jcwrites

Re: What might cause an agent with a high reply rate to not respond at all?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:54:24 PM »
Lots of agents don't respond to every query. Put another way, I'd bet good money there's never been one who did respond to every query. Trying to reason why is pointless.

Offline stevenmnedeau

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:25:37 PM »
I need to put on my Zen pajamas and relax. ;D

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 03:12:29 PM »
Good move.

Offline Terri_Martin

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »
Might be in the agent's "take a closer look" pile, a reply might have gone to your spam filter, there might have been something in the subject line that sent the query to the agent's spam filter. If a multiples of the usual response time have gone by, it wouldn't be out of line to send a follow-up wondering whether to close out the query since so much time has gone by.

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 08:19:01 PM »
I've been concerned about this, too. Had a PitMad request I sent Dec. 6. The agent has responded to several queries since then but skipped my query and one other in between. It's so frustrating.

So, should I re-submit? Follow up? Wait? I've held off because the request came so close to the holidays.

It's frustrating not to know. Definitely need to invest in zen pajamas!

Jeanne
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 09:02:32 AM »
I wouldn't nudge a query. I'd just resubmit the query as though I'd never sent the first one, on the off-chance that the query did in fact go to the spam filter the first time around. If they give a specific timeframe for their response to come in, I'd wait out that timeframe plus 20% and then just re-send.

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »
Update: The two agents who requested during PitMad are both out of the picture. One passed away, and the other left the agent business.   :eek:

Some sort of curse??

After attending an absolutely amazing writer's conference and workshop in January, I've decided to hold off querying for a while. I received some fantastic advice for revisions and great ideas on how to query/pitch the book. I plan on jumping back in once the revisions are complete.

Once I dig out a little (lots of work right now), I will share some of the info I gleaned from this conference. I've been to a lot of conferences, and this was unlike any other--so good!

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman