Author Topic: Fun Topic: First adult novel you ever read?  (Read 669 times)

Offline PharaohBeam

Fun Topic: First adult novel you ever read?
« on: January 28, 2020, 02:08:06 PM »
What was the first adult novel you ever read on your own?

If someone read it to you or it was an assigned book the whole class had to read, it doesn’t count. If it was a book you picked for a class “silent reading” or “book report” project, then it counts – just as long as the title was of your choosing and you read it without any assistance.

Mine was “Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire” by Steve Perry when I was in fifth grade. It’s still one of my favorites.

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
Re: Fun Topic: First adult novel you ever read?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 06:41:47 AM »
Welcome to QT!  :welcome:

Your first book makes me feel old.  ;D

My first was The Iceberg Hermit, picked by me when my grade school set out books for students to pick and keep. I didn't know it'd be such a sad story at the end and bawled. LOL

Either the year before or after, I'd picked My Brother Sam is Dead but never read it b/c I thought it would be too sad. Had picked it b/c I really liked the cover.

Still have both books from many years ago.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:49:01 AM by 007 fan »
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline tb.tallbird

• I live in a fairy tale world!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
My first book was a trilogy called, The Harper Hall trilogy. It was given to me as a gift from a friend. The trilogy was written by McAffrey (I think I spelled that right.) Anyway, I highly recommend it for anyone who likes fantasy. It's a spin off from her series, The Dragonriders of Pern. Actually taken from part of the timeline.
Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, some exciting. But if you never turn the page... you will never know what the next chapter holds.

Offline ryan1

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 10:20:48 AM »
Can't say with certainty, but I believe it would be Dragonlance Chronicles.  I was in sixth or seventh grade, I think.

I may have read an adult novel before that, but I don't recall. 

Offline dancingdove311

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
tb.tallbird, I'm pretty sure Harper Hall was my first as well, followed shortly after by Dragonflight/Dragonquest/The White Dragon! The best thing about Pern is that it still holds up when I reread it now

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 10:41:11 PM »
Hmm. My first real adult book was Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I was about 14, and the school librarian told me the book was too mature for me, so of course, I checked it out!  ;D

I was a weird kid.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 03:00:49 AM »
Hmm. My first real adult book was Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I was about 14, and the school librarian told me the book was too mature for me, so of course, I checked it out!  ;D

I was a weird kid.

JeanneG

IMHO, you picked the best book ever, even if you did do it out of teen defiance. This is my all-time favorite book. Probably was in my 20's when I read it. In high school, we read poems, stories and novels by classic authors from around the world. The Russian authors were always my favorites. I remember thinking of them as being able to capture people in the most wretched of circumstances, some behaving in the most non-commendable ways, yet these authors didn't look down their noses at their own characters or make fun of them. And they could draw compassion from a reader for a character who is not "likable" by any conventional standards.

I think one of the best examples is Marmeladov in Crime and Punishment. Everybody in the tavern is snickering and laughing, mocking him as he confesses to Rasknikov, whom he has just met, how he has failed his family. He says his daughter Sonia has had to become a prostitute to support him, as well as his second wife and their three children, because he has wasted every chance he's gotten to provide for them. Even the bottle of booze he finishes off at the table was purchased with the rubles he has just hit Sonia up for. He admits he's been despicable, yet he goes into this wild speech about how Jesus will welcome all into Heaven some day, even him. "Come, all . . .ye drunks, too . . . !" But that speech is not satirical.

If you want to hear an excellent, unabridged reading of Crime and Punishment by actor George Guidall, here is the link to Part I of II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fGSPS_bfkU

BTW -- Dostoyevsky is not shy about using adjectives and adverbs. Writers wanting to improve their craft would really benefit from reading even a few pages of a book with powerfully effective adjectives and adverbs --- instead of being sent by today's blogging gurus on search-and-destroy missions for those parts of speech, just because they're there.

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »
 :agree: I will have to check out that link. Thanks!

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.

Offline 217mom

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 03:10:25 PM »
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I was eleven, and didn't understand it at all. I thought it was a romance novel and was intrigued by the thought I was reading something so "adult." :wink: I thought it was well written then, too. "Later-me" found the writing lacking on so many fronts. :sad2:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:24:53 PM by 217mom »

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
Treasure Island. It was in a bookcase in the hallway and the cover kept reaching out to me. I was in grade school.

Offline NOT AGENT X

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

Can't remember the very first but one of the first. I was about 13.

I know...what a choice.    :m:

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 04:41:41 PM »
Great book. One of my husband's favorites.

JeanneG

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:24:29 PM »
What a great idea for a thread!

Wuthering Heights. I was 12 years old. It was sitting in the back of the classroom on our bookshelf. The title was calling to me.

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 07:43:40 AM »
During the Robert Kiyosaki craze, everyone was on about Rich Dad, Poor Dad (a book I eventually bought and love). I was in my very early 20's and eager to prepare for a life of riches and success. I'd just read Think and Grow Rich so I was on a hunt to continue my binge fest.

I somehow confused it with a book called Rich Man, Poor Man by Irwin Shaw which my mom had on her book shelf. I read it in hope I would gain insight into making money and finding success. When I finished it I was very confused. I shortly after realized my mistake. But it did show me that I could get through a 600+ page fiction book in a week, and enjoy it. So in a way, it did change my life :)