Author Topic: CNR from one agent, contact another agent?  (Read 343 times)

Offline sbaird

CNR from one agent, contact another agent?
« on: February 15, 2020, 07:12:35 AM »
Apologies if this question is answered somewhere - I scrolled through pages and found "rejected, can I query another agent at the agency" but haven't been able to find "ignored/CNR, can I query another agent at the agency." Thanks! This is a great tool, and seems like a really supportive community.

Offline jcwrites

Re: CNR from one agent, contact another agent?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 08:43:47 AM »
It depends on the agency. With some, "Query one, query all" is the rule. With others, not so much.

Check the agency website. If it's not clear, move on.

Offline MichelleG

• MICHELLE GWYNN JONES - NEW GRACE NEWS
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
Sure.

EXCEPT when their website specifically says if the agent feels it is a better fit for another agent they will pass it on. I have come across that twice.

Just my opinion -

I would like to think if you sent the query to agent A and it wasn’t for them, but A thought B might like it they would have forwarded it to them. However, maybe they didn’t.

So to actually answer your question, let’s think this through

On January 1st you sent the query to A and were rejected or have heard nothing. On June 1st you send it to B, what can happen?

1- B likes it and asks for more -WIN for you

2- B doesn’t respond - oh well

3- B ask for more, you send it and finally hear from A who wants more. Good for you. At this point you decide who to send it to -A- do that and thank the other agent for their interest however I sent it to A of your agency.

4- Agents A and B are chatting and A says I got this query I am really interested in. It’s about ...   B says me too. They will decide which one of them will request more. Now don’t think that neither of them will ask for it out of spite or hurt feelings. They are professionals (should be), if they liked what they read before they started chatting, they still do.

5 - ??? is there a 5.

Which of these scenarios is bad for you?  NONE
"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline sbaird

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:59:47 PM »
This is great thinking, MichelleG.

When I see the numbers - an agent has received 1500 queries and has CNRed 1350 of them - I'm assuming all of the CNRs are "gave it a two-second glance and it didn't grab me" rather than "spent extensive amounts of time with it and then rejected." When it's a three-person agency, I would never send it to someone else. If it's a giant agency with 40 agents ... seems like why not?

But I haven't a real clue, and appreciate the feedback on this.

Offline Smellerby

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
Here is my experience with this. I sent my query to an agent. I did not hear back for, according to QueryTracker, 189 days. I closed it. The agency website asks not to send to more than one agent at a time, but if you receive a rejection, you can then submit to another agent. So, I do. Within the hour I receive an email rejection from both agents, quoting the rule on the website not to submit to more than one of them at a time.

So, my advice is this: proceed with caution and remember that a lot of agents are just looking for a reason, any reason at all, to reject you.

Offline MichelleG

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »
but if you receive a rejection, you can then submit to another agent.
... Within the hour I receive an email rejection from both agents, quoting the rule on the website not to submit to more than one of them at a time.

Sounds like the agency policy is to send rejections - respond to queries

189 days - sounds like the agent was never interested and just never got around to saying no. Properly got called out for her oversight. Rather than continue to ignore you or send you a simple rejection, they sent you a ‘pissy’ letter to make you feel bad for drawing co-workers’ attention to the original oversight.

Let’s look at how agency’s work. Even if the agents basically work completely independent from each other, the success of one agent benefits the agency as a whole.  If either of these agents had any interest in your query they would have asked for more material even if you had queried them both on the same day. They aren’t there to make friends. They are there to make money. If they had the slightest belief you could make them money you would have gotten a different letter.

Now let’s think this through - if they reject you, you can resubmit, but if they ignore you you should sit in limbo forever! 
"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Smellerby

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 06:47:16 PM »
Many agents state that one of the main reasons they reject is failure to follow submission guidelines.

If all they cared about was the work itself then submission guidelines wouldn't be so important. But they clearly are.

I don't think it's bad advice to proceed with caution. There are lots of agents and lots of agencies. If someone isn't sure about whether or not they should submit to another agent at the same agency, then they should put that agent on hold for a while and come back to him/her later. If it's a case of "but this agent is PERFECT for my MS!" then they probably should have submitted to that agent first anyway.

At the end of the day, I'd probably go ahead and submit to that other agent after a good amount of time had passed (maybe 190 days next time :wag: ). But proceed with caution 's all I'm saying.

Offline MichelleG

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 06:57:56 PM »
Oh yeah - if it had been 60 days that would have been different - but 6 months.

Offline sbaird

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 07:34:10 AM »
Thanks you all! Yeah, I'm talking like 6 months, no response, giant agency. (I have literally just started submitting last week, I'm just trying to figure out how it all works!)