Author Topic: Mentioning Pitch Wars?  (Read 235 times)

Offline JabariT

Mentioning Pitch Wars?
« on: February 17, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say that firstly, I've never queried before. So I entered Pitch Wars last year and got a request for more materials from one of my chosen mentors. She ultimately didn't select me as her mentee, but gave really, really glowing feedback (along the lines of her not feeling like she wanted to edit my work for fear of ruining it). My question is, is this worth mentioning in a query in any way? If so, how? Or is there no point?

On a related note, I had an author friend read some chapters, love them and said I had his full permission to use his name as a reference when querying. Does this mean I just mention him recommending I query? Should I only bring him up to agents I think would know him? His agency only?

Thank you!

Offline jcwrites

Re: Mentioning Pitch Wars?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
No and no.

Agents only want to know your published credits (preferably for pay), and awards of some distinction (e.g., honorable mention in your high school newspaper doesn't count; a Pulitzer does).

Offline TigerAsh

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 01:58:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say that firstly, I've never queried before. So I entered Pitch Wars last year and got a request for more materials from one of my chosen mentors. She ultimately didn't select me as her mentee, but gave really, really glowing feedback (along the lines of her not feeling like she wanted to edit my work for fear of ruining it). My question is, is this worth mentioning in a query in any way? If so, how? Or is there no point?

There's no point in mentioning this is your query.

On a related note, I had an author friend read some chapters, love them and said I had his full permission to use his name as a reference when querying. Does this mean I just mention him recommending I query? Should I only bring him up to agents I think would know him? His agency only?

You can mention him if you are querying his agent (though your author friend should mention you to his agent as well). Otherwise, you shouldn't mention him at all.

Thank you!

Good luck!

Offline JabariT

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »
Cool, thanks, guys!