Author Topic: Offer of rep etiquette question  (Read 501 times)

Offline GlitterFox

Offer of rep etiquette question
« on: March 02, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »
SO I just got off the phone with an agent who wants to represent me. * sobs * * screams * * passes out * The manuscript in question is a contemporary YA I stopped querying a while ago to focus on an MG fantasy. I obviously want to reach out to the agents who have queries for the MG, but I can't find an email template for a situation like this, so I thought I'd pose the question here. Do I still ask if they want to read the MG, or do I offer to send them the YA if they're interested? I'd love suggestions on phrasing. Thanks, guys!

Offline MichelleG

• MICHELLE GWYNN JONES - NEW GRACE NEWS
Re: Offer of rep etiquette question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »
Not sure what one thing has to do with the other.

Send the agent who wants to read the YA the manuscript

Are you trying to find a template that says “I know you have my MG query, but would you rather read my YA?” I doubt that template exist.
"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline kaperton

• @kapecakes
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 05:27:18 PM »
Congratulations!!!

I thought this was a good little article on what to do if you get an offer of rep: http://literaticat.blogspot.com/2014/06/all-about-offer-etiquette-and-how-to.html

Based on her advice, what if you said something like this: "You may not have had a chance to read my query for my MG fantasy, but I wanted to reach out to you because I have an offer of representation for a different project, a contemporary YA. If my MG query seems like something you'd be interested in, I can give you a week with the full. Or if you'd be interested in seeing my query for the YA Contemporary, I'd be happy to send that along. Otherwise, no worries, I understand you might not want to rush."

Offline ryan1

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 06:26:45 AM »
I guess I'm a little confused.  So, are you suggesting that you aren't as keen on being represented by the agent who made the offer, but hope to leverage the offer to get some of the other agents who have your MG in hand because you like them better?

What happens, then, if none of the MG agents bite? 

Or, is there a reason why the agent who is offering representation wouldn't be interested in the MG? 

I think it could be awkward to have one agent representing you for YA and an entirely different agent for MG. 

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 08:29:44 AM »
A bird in hand...

Offline ryan1

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 08:34:09 AM »
A bird in hand...

Uh...yeah.  That's a far more concise way of saying it.  You should be a writer or something.

Offline hesterL

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 08:40:15 AM »
First, congratulations on your offer!!!!!!  :clap:

While I'm not sure exactly how you would approach the agents who have your MG query, I think kaperton's wording is a great place to start.  I'm also wondering if there's a possibility the agent who offered on your YA would be interested in your MG as well?  Did you mention the project during your conversation?