Author Topic: # of beta reads before querying  (Read 705 times)

Offline gellisbarber

# of beta reads before querying
« on: March 07, 2020, 10:50:17 AM »
I have a bunch of betareads out right now. How many would you wait for feedback from before feeling secure enough to start the querying process? I've had two responses with no major issues and meeting with a third (professional fiction editor) on Tuesday. Would you start querying or wait for a couple more to get back to me?

Offline MichelleG

• MICHELLE GWYNN JONES - NEW GRACE NEWS
Re: # of beta reads before querying
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 02:48:09 PM »
I would wait till I got responses from all my beta readers. They were nice enough to agree to read it, you should wait for their opinions.

HOWEVER, WITH THAT BEING SAID, if it’s been a while nudge them, offer to let them off the hook - something.

I had a beta reader - who offered, I didn’t ask. It was over 4 months. I had received all my other critiques. Had made changes and even had it being read again. She was very apologetic - works, kids, life in general. She did finish it the next weekend after sending her kids and husband to her in-laws so there were no distractions. After all of that, most of everything she said had been brought to my attention and dealt with. Yet, her notes were very thorough. I thanked her and she offered to beta for me again in a timely fashion. Which has happened.
"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline rivergirl

Re: # of beta reads before querying
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 03:21:58 PM »
Depends on how many requests you sent out. If you get five or six responses and the feedback is consistent, I would go ahead and send out. Someone may start my book and find it not to be their cup of tea and instead of telling me they may completely disappear.