Author Topic: To include website/blog link in email queries or not  (Read 523 times)

Offline PharaohBeam

To include website/blog link in email queries or not
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:09:05 PM »
When emailing a query letter, is it better to put a link to your website/blog or not?

Offline jcwrites

Re: To include website/blog link in email queries or not
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »
Many if not most all agents will not open an attachment nor click on an embedded link.

I'd leave it out.

Offline PharaohBeam

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 06:48:27 PM »
Thanks for the answer  :)

Offline mafiaking1936

• http://ericlewis.ink/
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 07:08:03 AM »
Include the address to show you have some web platform/presence, but it doesn't need to be an active link.

Offline PharaohBeam

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 07:49:36 AM »
That seems like a good idea. I was thinking of doing it something like:

myname(dot)wordpress(dot)com

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
If you do include a link to your web page, don't direct the agent to it in order for the agent to see something that agent has specifically asked for, such as a synopsis or the first chapter.

Requested information needs to be pasted into the email query, or attached as a .pdf or .docx file, depending on what the agent's guidelines specify. If you're including a brief writing sample that the guidelines don't ask for, or asked for it but didn't say how to include it, paste it in. (This is getting a bit off-topic, I know.)  I include a link to my web page below my name, but don't point it out to the agent. They can look at it or not.

Offline PharaohBeam

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
Thanks, Munley. That's exactly what I was thinking about doing.  :) I'm just going to put it below my signature to show I have a web presence.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:41:16 AM by PharaohBeam »

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 12:22:05 PM »
Gmail lets you create a signature that can include websites, phone numbers, photos, social media, etc. I don't put in a photo, but I do include my phone numbers and a link to my website in my signature. Most agents will Google you if they're interested in you, if for nothing else, to make sure you're not crazy.  ;D Having a website does give you a more professional appearance, though.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Smellerby

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »
I have seen websites described as "the literary equivalent of a business card." Some agents do like to see them, but like everyone else already said, don't direct the agent to an active link or anything. I have mine in my signature.