Author Topic: How long to wait after a partial request to query another agent at same agency  (Read 186 times)

Offline cchunseim

Hello,

Roughly eight weeks ago I queried a dream agent. They requested a partial two days later, and I sent it along. I have not heard from that agent, but another agent at their company approached me last week about possible representation. That conversation didn't amount to anything, because they were looking for a novel instead of a short story collection. Would it be wrong of me to now query a different agent at said agency who takes short story writers?

I would hate to step on the dream agent's toes, but I assume eight weeks after a partial request is a no?

Thank you!

P.S. This agency does allow you to submit to multiple agents, just not at the same time.

Offline Smellerby

Eight weeks actually isn't very long at all. Even just queries often take longer. I'd wait a minimum of 12 weeks, and then send a nudge to the agent who has the partial (although check their website to make sure they don't have a set time). Then wait another week (or two or three) to see if they respond to the nudge.

Have patience. This is a long game.

Offline cchunseim

Thank you for replying. I suppose the reason I assumed it was a rejection was because their website says that if an agent doesn't reply within 30 days, the agent isn't interested. But that might not apply to partial requests.

I'll wait another month or two. Thanks again!

(Also I love your username!)