Author Topic: How to write a Teaser Query?  (Read 235 times)

Offline csc

How to write a Teaser Query?
« on: June 12, 2020, 09:22:37 AM »
Hi all,
With the help of several people on the forum, I revised my earlier query. I felt good about is and submitted it to over 20 plus agents. I wrote mainly to agents that have a high response rate. So far, half of them have responded with rejections and I have one full manuscript request! Thank you all!

I can't help thinking that while I had a strong query and I met the requirements for the expected components, it was not really reflective of my voice in the book.

I am also thinking of taking a break to craft out the Teaser Query for my next round of queries. Below is quoted from admin Patrick's description of a Teaser Query:

"The Teaser Query:

The short, premise-based query that is so intriguing, it works without laying out much information at all.  These are rarer and often harder to get right.  These will ALWAYS have character and voice.  They may forgo some of the others, but they make up for it by somehow answering the "Why do I care" question in a big way."

Could someone who have experience or success with the Teaser Query offer some tips or suggestions? Is it similar to the blurb that you would see at the back cover of a book?
Thanks.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: How to write a Teaser Query?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »
Mary Lindsey had an amazing one for her first novel.

SHATTERED SOULS is a 74,000-word young adult paranormal romance about a reincarnated ghost mediator with past life amnesia who is being pursued by a pissed off demon that wants her dead and a hot guy from her past lives who... well, just wants her.

The post that has it is here: https://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=5308.msg85757#msg85757