Author Topic: Waiting for edit notes from agent  (Read 1883 times)

Offline michaelandersonburley

Waiting for edit notes from agent
« on: June 13, 2020, 05:40:32 AM »
Hi everyone. I signed with an agent 3 months ago and am still waiting for edit notes on my novel. Is this usual? Obviously coronavirus has disturbed everything, and we have exchanged the odd friendly email checking in inbetween, but surely this is quite a long time to wait? Itching to get on with finishing the project now but feel like I'm stuck in limbo!
Any advice/info about waiting for edit notes would be great :D

Offline kaperton

• @kapecakes
Re: Waiting for edit notes from agent
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »
Hi Michael,
I know you posted this a while ago...any news from your agent yet? I can't tell you what's normal, but at least with my agent, I have to take the expected turnaround on any task and multiply it by about 5.

Feel free to message me if you ever want to commiserate.

-Kaperton

Offline 217mom

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 05:40:33 PM »
A good agent will give you a rough timeline for the return of feedback. After all, you can't move forward with *your work* or even make plans as to when you will make time for such if the agent has left this open ended. If for some reason they can't meet the time they set, they'll make contact. That's the mark of a professional.
Some individuals (agents or others) are poor at time management and estimates. You get to know this after interacting with them for a while. Your agent is new to you, so you don't know and neither do we, because we don't know your agent, either.

Three months is long, but if your novel is long and your agent does meticulously detailed line edits in addition to developmental suggestions and they have loads of other clients they do the same for, then three months is not out of bounds.

Echoing kaperton above, I hope you have your answer by now. I've only ever worked with very prompt agents, but I have heard from writing friends some frustrating stories.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »
My ex-agent took six months to get a manuscript back to me (I was signed at that point; this was our second book together) and I should have dumped her at the three month mark when all I was getting was promises and smoke blown into my eyes. Eventually I had to force her to do it, and she gave back an obviously-rushed skim-edit and afterward complained that she'd had to read the book SO MANY TIMES. (She'd read it twice.)

YMMV.

Offline klclou

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
I would say normal. I didn't have an agent but an editor and it was like that all the time. Then when they got back to me it was always 'can you do this like, yesterday?'
It's definitely not an author's world. Unless you're George RR Martin. Then you just say 'oneday, maybe' and it doesn't matter because on that one day, the publisher is going to make millions.