Author Topic: Opinion Question  (Read 1104 times)

Offline daydreaming

Opinion Question
« on: June 19, 2020, 01:32:48 PM »
Hello all!

My apologies if this topic is out of place.  I wasn't quite sure where to put it.  I've been reading up on author websites/domains and I'm hoping to get some clarity.  Do you think that it's important to have an author website in place BEFORE you've been published?  Will it make a significant impact on the querying process?  I'm trying to decide if I should build a website now or if it would be more beneficial to wait.

Thank you in advance for your opinions! :)

Offline 217mom

Re: Opinion Question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 02:33:45 PM »
I don't know the definitive answer to this question, and I made mine after the first contracted sale.

What I am sure about is that agents and editors do google you if they are interested in perusing further contact, and it is important to have *some online presence* that will find you. Your own website is one you control, both in content and form.
So for this reason it seems a good idea to have it. It can be simple,  like a calling card of yore. For an illustrator/artist, it is important to showcase their art. For writers it's a way to present who you are.

Many writers have social media presence under their legal name and although they are findable that way, the social media sites have their own house style and don't reveal much about yours.

Don't go to much expense at this stage. You can't (yet) take it off your tax liability as a business expense before a sale. There are plenty of inexpensive and free options. Do make sure to secure your name domain, which shouldn't cost more than 10-15 dollars a year. Even less.

Offline daydreaming

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:00:01 PM »
Thank you for the great advice! It's very helpful! :)

Offline JohnPansini

• just me.jpg
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 02:21:35 PM »
I'd build the website first. All those query forms I've filled out asked for a website, so my guess is agents like that. Also, if you want to self-publish, you definitely need a website to hawk your wears.

That's what I did for an anti-Trump book I just published that no publisher would touch. See:  http://election2220.com/

Good luck, JP

Offline mafiaking1936

• http://ericlewis.ink/
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 09:35:59 AM »
In my opinion yes, it's better to do it now. My site has taken a long time and a lot of tweaking to get how I want, and it's very convenient to have as a hub for everything I've written or gotten published, etc. You can get a simple free site using Wix or whatever, or you can get your own domain and hosting plan to have more control.