Author Topic: Obsessing over QT data  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Cherylking

• This is why we can't have nice things.
    • Cheryl King Writes Things
Obsessing over QT data
« on: July 06, 2020, 04:13:17 PM »
Does anyone else obsessively try to glean information from the timeline data like this: An agent rejected my query just a few days after I sent it, so I go look at the timeline and see that there are multiple queries in line before mine. So it could be a positive thing -- maybe something about my query drew her to it before looking at others, and it just wasn't a good fit. Or it could be negative -- maybe my query letter sucked so bad that she knew right away that my story is trash and I'm a horrible writer who will never get representation  :cry:.
Querying: Sitting on Top of the World

YA historical fiction, 64K words

Offline Smellerby

Re: Obsessing over QT data
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 05:37:35 PM »
Yeah, I do this sometimes too. Although, I try not to. It's really hard not to try and do detective work with all of that info available, and yet very little info coming from the agents themselves.

Offline redseafish

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 05:08:10 AM »
I'm the same - really love all the data to look at and think about, but it's also a curse! As I get more rejections, though, it gets less interesting  ;D

Also when I come to decide who to query - actually, none of the agents I've queried has a success story on QT; many haven't even requested a full for a few years from anyone using QT. So, I shouldn't beat myself up about rejections, but maybe this also means these aren't the agents I should be trying? And then, someone after me gets asked for a full - the first time for that agent since something like 2015 (on QT only of course), and then I have to rethink all over again...

All part of the masochistic fun!

Offline NicoleA

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »
I was so excited when a top agent requested a full. Then the quoted time period ran out with no word at all. Seeing a bunch of other people who has FR’s get the same treatment made me feel slightly better. I still find it rude to not even send a pass. Especially when this agent has two assistants. But what are you gonna do.

Offline Cherylking

• This is why we can't have nice things.
    • Cheryl King Writes Things
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 08:33:25 AM »
I still find it rude to not even send a pass. Especially when this agent has two assistants. But what are you gonna do.

I agree. I mean, why does it feel like this whole process is some sick game?
Querying: Sitting on Top of the World

YA historical fiction, 64K words

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
I still find it rude to not even send a pass. Especially when this agent has two assistants. But what are you gonna do.

I agree. I mean, why does it feel like this whole process is some sick game?

Some agents are definitely playing it like a game. Don't let those agents get to you. Odds are you wouldn't want to work with an agent like that anyhow because it wouldn't stop being a game to them the day you signed the contract.

Offline bookgirl22

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 02:33:50 PM »
What do you guys think it means when agents respond to querys out of order? I have seen a lot of agents skip mine and move on to rejecting a bunch. Is this a good sign?

Offline rodeoclown

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »
They might not've seen it. After a month, re-query. This is generally only advisable for agents who have a high response rate (i.e. they even respond to their passes)

Offline littlewritings

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »
Please, please, please do not just re-query after a month! Some agents' response times are up to 3 (or even 4) months so make sure you don't re-query or nudge prematurely. When you query, make a note of an agents' response time and don't nudge them earlier than that. If an agent says "I reply to all queries within 8 weeks" it's in your best interest to wait for 8 weeks before nudging, because you do not want an agent to think that you didn't read their submission guidelines. You might end up hurting your chances.

(The exception to this is obviously when you got an offer or rep.)

Offline rodeoclown

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 01:20:50 PM »
I thought we were talking about the specific instance where the agent has generally fast response times on QT. I will say that although I did once get a request after eight months (during which time I nudged the agent repeatedly), and another time after six weeks, almost all my manuscript requests have come within 30 days. In my experience agents miss or don't see about 20 percent of queries, and this percentage can be higher if you have a search term that kicks you automatically into the spam, and oftentimes you're left waiting for a response to something they never got

Offline littlewritings

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 01:41:59 PM »
Even if an agent has fast response times on QT, it's customary to wait until the time stated by the agent has passed. Worst case scenario: The agent put you in their maybe pile, you nudge too early, they think you're impatient and ignored their response time and decides they don't want to work with you based on that. Granted, that won't always happen but I'd think, just in general, nobody wants to be "that person".

Queries do end up in spam folders (has happened to me) and queries are missed, but maybe piles exist and sometimes agents just want to take a second look. Publishing isn't a fast industry and Covid has made it even slower. Nudging is perfectly fine and acceptable if an agent hasn't replied after the time they stated on their website/the agency website, but I wouldn't recommend ignoring query guidelines.

Offline rodeoclown

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
Fair enough. I tend to nudge in under a month because they'd still be able to find the former query in their spam. If you wait too long it'll get auto-deleted. But it's true that agents can also be a bit touchy about these things.

Offline Back in the saddle...

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »
For me it's hard not to obsess over absolutely everything. ha ha!

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 03:51:32 AM »
It's driving me crazy that one agent who has nearly a 100 percent response rate has responded to queries before and after mine but has not responded to mine :(